PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AMDG

Lurker
Jun 26, 2022
Welcome from AZ. What a great way to keep the Sabbath, relax with a pipe. I’m projecting, but I bet it’s not in front of a TV. While not super observant, I try to take time on Friday night to smoke a cigar or pipe and relax at home. Better if I ditched the iPad and read something more spiritual, but it’s a start.
We got rid of the TV a few years ago. One of the best decisions we ever made.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Welcome, Mike.
Great intro to the pipe smoking hobby.
In today's frantic lifestyle, it's important to set some time aside for the more important things in life, family first. Then yourself, with a pipe.
Honkytonk Man.

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
Hello all,

My name is Mike and I live in the rural Midwest where I live on a small homestead with my wife and kids. I dipped my toes into the tobacco world about 5 years ago with cigars and would have one every month or so by myself or with my wife's family. I greatly enjoyed the experience and relaxation cigars would bring as I essentially work non-stop 6 days a week between my paying work and homestead work. A challenge I had with cigars was that no matter how slowly I smoked them and how cool I kept the ember, they had a way of overwhelming my palate and being too strong, ashy, etc. Even more mild cigars would bring some enjoyment for the first third, but not be pleasant for me afterwards.

One day I watched a video of a woodworking craftsman I follow light up a pipe at the end of the video. I was intrigued.

I spent some time researching the hobby, and came across Mutton Chop Piper. After digesting most of his introductory videos I bought a Savinelli Roma 321, Peterson 87 and a tin from each of the major pipe tobacco categories (Virginia, Va/Per, English, Aromatic, Burley-forward).

Interestingly enough, that box of supplies sat in my basement for three years untouched. But I finally set aside the time a couple months ago to try it out.

What a difference to my palate from cigars. I could taste the nuances of the flavor, and greatly enjoyed the experience from start to finish. We keep the Sunday sabbath in our house, so I've built a nice little tradition of coming home from church and enjoying a couple bowls during the afternoon while I read, relax, and enjoy time with the family.

For now, my preferences are pretty clear and I'm looking forward to trying out more blends. The Va/Per (Escudo) and English (Plum Pudding, Early Morning Pipe) blends were a pleasure, and I'm finding that I'm open to a bit more strength and taste, so I'll be trying some more punchy, rich examples from these categories in coming months (just orders some Tashkent and Oriental 40 from Peretti, and also looking to try the HH blends like Blackhouse, White Knight and Magnum Opus). The Virginia (Peterson Flake) and Aromatic (Blood Moon) we're not to my liking, but we'll see how things evolve in the future. Jury is still out on the Burley blends.

I'm learning a lot from all of you through perusing this forum, so I appreciate it. Thanks.
Welcome from Virginia

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Welcome from Sydney, Oz from another weekend smoker - Sat and Sun, unless I have a day off.

I applaud you considered approach to pipes.

Lots of helpful members here, so ask if you have any queries

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
A late welcome, from a guy that joined (and picked up a pipe) a few months after you.
I saw your post today in the WAYS thread, and your screen name caught my eye….
I matriculated under Jesuits for awhile in my adolescence, and was required by a few to put AMDG as a header on every paper.

Regardless, welcome!

Reactions: AMDG

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Also a belated welcome, not sure how I missed this as an OP thread. Really well written out introduction and story of the beginning of your pipe smoking journey.

Reactions: AMDG