PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Wisconsin.jpg

I would recommend trying many different blends. For the full bodied flavor you may want to explore the English blends. Order what sounds good, but I would make sure I have at least one tin of Presbyterian.

-Doc

Reactions: JRW11b

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
Welcome! I get to travel out to your neck of the desert relatively often, going between Ft Stockton, Pecos, and up to Carlsbad NM. Glad you’re here!

Regarding tobacco choices, good advice so far - order a few 1 oz samples online. For that full bodied flavor experience coming from maduro cigars, I would recommend:
- C&D Bayou Morning (a Perique heavy blend that has a bit of punch to it)
- C&D Haunted Bookshop (a “classic” burley based recommendation, full flavor. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but try it fresh and again after a few weeks/months sitting in a jar)
- MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired (intro to dark fired leaf in a punchy but smooth blend)
- Low Country Virginia & Oriental (not as full bodied, but a good way to find out whether oriental flavors could be your thing)
- C&D Habana Daydream (a good crossover from cigar into Latakia, this blend has cigar leaf)
- Sutliff Match Sunrise (a good mild English, bulk “match” to Early Morning Pipe)

Take your time and enjoy the experimentation! Don’t worry about not liking someone else’s recommendations, but even if you don’t like something straight away, stick it in a jar and come back in the future, your tastes for the different leaf varietals will evolve as you experiment and transition from the cigar experience.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Just to add...
There it's a company called Warped that is probably best known for their cigars, but now make several pipe tobaccos, many of which contain cigar leaf. Their blends are manufactured by Cornell & Diehl, and can be found at SmokingPipes

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Welcome from Austin. I lived in El Paso for a few years. Any good tobacconists left there? I moved to Austin from El Paso in ‘96.

I would highly recommend GH&Co Dark Flake Unscented and their brown ropes to start with. I personally love both the scented and unscented version of DF but I get much more of a cigar vibe from the unscented version. Really great full bodied, old world smoke.

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
Welcome! I get to travel out to your neck of the desert relatively often, going between Ft Stockton, Pecos, and up to Carlsbad NM. Glad you’re here!

Regarding tobacco choices, good advice so far - order a few 1 oz samples online. For that full bodied flavor experience coming from maduro cigars, I would recommend:
- C&D Bayou Morning (a Perique heavy blend that has a bit of punch to it)
- C&D Haunted Bookshop (a “classic” burley based recommendation, full flavor. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but try it fresh and again after a few weeks/months sitting in a jar)
- MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired (intro to dark fired leaf in a punchy but smooth blend)
- Low Country Virginia & Oriental (not as full bodied, but a good way to find out whether oriental flavors could be your thing)
- C&D Habana Daydream (a good crossover from cigar into Latakia, this blend has cigar leaf)
- Sutliff Match Sunrise (a good mild English, bulk “match” to Early Morning Pipe)

Take your time and enjoy the experimentation! Don’t worry about not liking someone else’s recommendations, but even if you don’t like something straight away, stick it in a jar and come back in the future, your tastes for the different leaf varietals will evolve as you experiment and transition from the cigar experience.
Excellent reply, Thanks for taking the time. Def. going to check out those recommendations. I hear a lot about that haunted bookshop from C&D, although some have mentioned some burley blends taste like a cigarette? I do love the idea of revisiting certain blends after some time as your palate develops. Thanks again!

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
Welcome from Austin. I lived in El Paso for a few years. Any good tobacconists left there? I moved to Austin from El Paso in ‘96.

I would highly recommend GH&Co Dark Flake Unscented and their brown ropes to start with. I personally love both the scented and unscented version of DF but I get much more of a cigar vibe from the unscented version. Really great full bodied, old world smoke.
As far as good tobacconists, none that I'm aware of. A few small shops mostly selling cigars. Visited Austin and had a great time. Some incredible BBQ spots there, Micklethwait's and Leroy and Lewis were pretty memorable. Thank you for the reccs.!

Reactions: hawky454

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Agree with GLP Key Largo and would add GLP Robusto, both of which have cigar leaf. Some of the rich English/Balkan blends might hit the robusto spot. I'm thinking of Seattle Pipe Club Potlatch and GLP Abingdon. Welcome from NYC BTW.