PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DeaconPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 13, 2023
Pacific Northwest
My wife gave me a pipe as a gift (I had been talking about taking it up...), and so I've been smoking for just about a month now. The pipe she gave me was a part of a beginner kit she found, and she gave me some bulk tobacco from a local cigar shop. I've since picked up a corn cob pipe as well and tried out the MM Great Dane blend. I have enjoyed everything about this so far (well... except for the tongue bite I got on a first light—I'm learning).

I'm curious if you all could recommend a good "go to" tobacco for a beginner. I've read lots of reviews so far, and I'd like to try lots of things, but I want to start with a good standard bearer.
Welcome from the Territory of Washington!

Reactions: OwlTellYa

SamPiper

Lurker
Jul 11, 2023
My wife gave me a pipe as a gift (I had been talking about taking it up...), and so I've been smoking for just about a month now. The pipe she gave me was a part of a beginner kit she found, and she gave me some bulk tobacco from a local cigar shop. I've since picked up a corn cob pipe as well and tried out the MM Great Dane blend. I have enjoyed everything about this so far (well... except for the tongue bite I got on a first light—I'm learning).

I'm curious if you all could recommend a good "go to" tobacco for a beginner. I've read lots of reviews so far, and I'd like to try lots of things, but I want to start with a good standard bearer.
For an ENGLISH blend: Peterson Early Morning Pipe. VA/PER: Peterson Elizabethan Mixture. VA/BUR: Cornell & Diehl Briar Fox. Taste is subjective, but I recommend these

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Welcome from Montreal, Canada.
I've been smoking pipes, for two or three years now. My first blend was a local Balkan mixture. I find it's a good one to start - it doesn't smoke too hot and has a interesting taste, not to mention that it helps build up good cake in the bowl.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Connecticut.jpg
The best beginner blend? There is none. Pick a style of tobacco, read reviews and smoke some. Get three dedicated pipes, one for latakia, one for all aromatics, and one for everything else. You'll end up getting more pipes eventually but for now get all cobs from Missouri Meerschaum and use the cost savings for more tobacco. You need to smoke and try some more. It never ends. You're always smoking new blends and old friends. That's what makes this hobby interesting.

If I had to pick a place to start try tobaccos sold bulk in ounce increments. Boswell makes Pipers Pleasure and Penn. Dutch Treat, Sutlif makes Vanilla Custard and Z50 Black Cordial for aromatics, Virginias try Newminster 400 or Peter Stokkebye 402, for Oriental try Oriental Silk, for Burley try Boswell Prem. Burley, CD Pegasus or MacB Golden Extra, and for Va/per try Boswell Private Stock Vaper or Peter Stokkebye 400.

Last edited: