PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JoeW

Lurker
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
My name is Joe, and I live in the woods in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I'm brand new to the world of pipes--completely new to tobacco, for that matter. Until last September (2023), I'd never smoked anything at all: I've always found cigarettes to be vile, nasty things (and I still do). Last summer I became curious about cigars, though, and when I was laid off in September, I decided to give them a try. I have really enjoyed them for their range of flavors, and started to become curious about pipes too. My dad smoked a pipe for a short time in the 1970s, and had pleasant memories of the aroma.

About a month ago, I decided to give it a try. The local smoke shop had a crappy little pipe with a metal bowl and plastic body, and I bought that with a pouch of Captain Black Gold. I stuffed the bowl with tobacco and tried lighting it with matches: I didn't get the tobacco to light, but still managed to burn my tongue. A sane man probably would have given up. Instead, I went to a cigar/pipe lounge and bought an estate pipe (Irwin 676, with a hexagonal bowl), and the owner gave me a few samples of his house blends. I managed to keep a bowl or two lit for long enough to want to try more.

My employer gave me $100 as a birthday gift, so I went shopping online and ended up with a couple of Missouri Meerschaum corncobs and a half-dozen blends. Then I noticed that smokingpipes.com had the Peterson deal with a free tin when purchasing a new pipe, so I also bought a new Peterson (Junior Heritage Silver Mounted Canted Billiard Fishtail) and some more tobacco. It all arrived last Tuesday, and I tried Carter Hall in a corncob: so much better than the Captain Black! I'd planned on sticking with Carter Hall for a while until I learn the ropes, but couldn't resist trying some of the others. I tried Pegasus, and I think I like that one even more than Carter Hall. I've tried a few others like Early Morning Pipe and From Beyond, both very nice. I have some aromatics too (Lane 1-Q and Autumn Evening), but so far have had a lot more enjoyment from non-aromatics.

Thank you all for sharing your wisdom and experience on this forum! I've learned a lot here, and look forward to learning more.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Welcome from Western Massachusetts. My wife’s family were from the U.P. We visited a few years ago, Eagle Harbour, Calumet, Houghton. And … we order pasties sent to us from “Pasty Central.”

Reactions: Nevaditude

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
Welcome from the Birthplace of Texas.

My name is Whitey and I spent some time in that region (mainly Mackinac Island) almost two decades ago.
I would really like to return, even for just a week, during one of those beautiful mid-year months.

Reactions: Nevaditude

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Greetings from northern Wisconsin. Came originally from down under the bridge (Kalamazoo) myself. But now I feel closer kinship to the Yoopers. There are others pipes up there lurking, including @SBC. Not sure of others. Happy piping! It keeps getting better the more you try.

Reactions: SBC and Nevaditude