PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Long-time forum lurker here. I've been gleaning information from this site since 2012 or 2013ish right when I started to slow down on pipe smoking to once a year or so (although it's been 3 years now so I have a little catching up to do this year so I'll be breaking out the Penzance). I plan on cellaring and smoking like a chimney when I turn 70-75 but until then I'm trying to sideline the deleterious effects of one of my favorite hobbies. Finally decided I should sign up for an account because I figured this would be a good way to stock up for the future.

So hello! Anyone in the Canary Islands? Spent a good amount of time in Tenerife so it'd be neat to hear from someone there. Also, hello to any fellow PNW residents!

Long-time forum lurker here. I've been gleaning information from this site since 2012 or 2013ish right when I started to slow down on pipe smoking to once a year or so (although it's been 3 years now so I have a little catching up to do this year so I'll be breaking out the Penzance). I plan on cellaring and smoking like a chimney when I turn 70-75 but until then I'm trying to sideline the deleterious effects of one of my favorite hobbies. Finally decided I should sign up for an account because I figured this would be a good way to stock up for the future.

So hello! Anyone in the Canary Islands? Spent a good amount of time in Tenerife so it'd be neat to hear from someone there. Also, hello to any fellow PNW residents!
Greetings from Whatcom County!

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Oh! And I smoke pipe tobacco exclusively with the extremely occasional cigar. Prefer Balkans, English, and VaPers, in that order. Has to be the right aromatic for me to have any interest at all. Actually have a bit of a soft spot for Half and Half from a cob (don't want to ghost my pipes) on occasion even though it's too mildly flavored, perhaps because of college memories where we'd smoke it as something completely different from the usual oriental blend we smoked (we only had one bulk option labeled "Oriental" --- now that I know a little more it was some kind of Balkan).

Reactions: chopper

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Oh, Whatcom is on the West side of the mountains in WA up on the Canadian Border. We were very fortunate and the fires never crossed over to this side. *WHEW*! :)
Right right. I would have thought you'd be getting a lot of the Okanogan and Chelan fire smoke. Whenever I look at the smoke maps I always envy those of you on the West side of the mtns.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019

G'day and welcome from Oz.

What deleterious effects? Don't you tell me that you've been listening to those miserable, shrieking, rabid, anti-smoking wankers?

A U.S. Surgeon Generals report found that a pipe smoker who inhales has the same life expectancy as a non-smoker.
Pipe smokers who don't inhale live 3 years longer than a non-smoker.
My health improved markedly when I ditched a 30-40 a day cigarette addiction for a pipe over 11 years ago.

Cigarettes have 300+ added chemicals which are the main cause of smoking related illness.
Pipe tobacco has none [some blends might have a little harmless propylene glycol as a humectant]

So why wait? You get stuck in and enjoy with a clear conscience [and tell those nasty anti-smokers to f^ck off]. puffy

Reactions: anantaandroscoggin

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Welcome to the forum, from Southern California. Only fires here are in the bowls of my Savinellis, and the stupid prescribed burns the US Forest "Service" does nearby.

Enjoy your journey!
It was the stupid Greenies who convinced other really stupid people to stop fuel reduction burns that led to 'super-fires' that wiped out everything in it's path, causing such devastation that much of the land will not turn back to it's natural state. .

The Aussie bush has adapted to regular small fires which are a vital part of responsible bush management.

The fires here 18 months ago is something that I never want to see again.
Thankfully, some not so stupid people have realised that reducing ground fuel regularly reduces the risk of catastrophic super-fires and burn-offs have since been reintroduced.

Though it might please you yo know that mobs of goats are now being used in parts of Oz and California to reduce ground fuel, which I think is quite a clever idea.

gentlemancob

Might Stick Around
Apr 21, 2020
Utah
Welcome from Utah. If you enjoy smoking a pipe, why deny yourself that pleasure? Enjoy life’s pleasures while you can.

I for one am tired of all the smoke, our air quality has been terrible for weeks. Even up in the mountains.

Reactions: Verdant

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA

Greetings from Whatcom County!
Hello to both of you from another Whatcom resident, Bellingham here. I've seen more and more of us PNW types around the forums recently, must be something in the air.

Reactions: Verdant
Status
Not open for further replies.