PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

FellPipe

Lurker
Jul 14, 2021
Hello
New here and newish to pipe smoking.
I started smoking a pipe about 20 years ago but gave up quickly as I couldn't get to grips with it.
I then started again about 4 years ago with a Petersons premiere 120f which I loved to bits and had my first eye opening bowls from.
I ended up snapping the stem of this pipe trying to separate it from the briar, it had completely seized, even when cold.
After that I had a collection of tobaccos that are now allnicely aged I hope, apart from my Rich Dark Flake that is covered in white mould unfortunately.
Anyway a few days ago I got a cheap Mr Broags briar pipe that I can't wait to use again.
I'm waiting for a camping trip next week.
I just have to decide which of my jars to open first, I'm thinking either FVF, Squadron Leader or Dunhulls Navy Rolls.
All at least 4 years old now.
I'm lucky enough to live 5 miles away from the Gawith "factory" so acquiring lakeland blends is very easy.
Anyway, thanks for all the interesting posts so far and give me a shout if there is a lakeland blend you're having trouble sourcing.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Welcome from a travelling Yorkshireman in Canada.

You may be inviting a few shouts for Lakeland blends - they are horribly tough to get in north America. My regular smokes were Revor and Bosun plugs and Germain's rich dark flake or G&H dark flake. Nigh on impossible to get here.

Enjoy the camping trip - do check to see whether that's definitely mould on the RDF though as mentioned by @simong it could be 'bloom'... in which case it'll be quite tasty. If you're not sure, put some pics up on here and people will let you know.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Hello
New here and newish to pipe smoking.
I started smoking a pipe about 20 years ago but gave up quickly as I couldn't get to grips with it.
I then started again about 4 years ago with a Petersons premiere 120f which I loved to bits and had my first eye opening bowls from.
I ended up snapping the stem of this pipe trying to separate it from the briar, it had completely seized, even when cold.
After that I had a collection of tobaccos that are now allnicely aged I hope, apart from my Rich Dark Flake that is covered in white mould unfortunately.
Anyway a few days ago I got a cheap Mr Broags briar pipe that I can't wait to use again.
I'm waiting for a camping trip next week.
I just have to decide which of my jars to open first, I'm thinking either FVF, Squadron Leader or Dunhulls Navy Rolls.
All at least 4 years old now.
I'm lucky enough to live 5 miles away from the Gawith "factory" so acquiring lakeland blends is very easy.
Anyway, thanks for all the interesting posts so far and give me a shout if there is a lakeland blend you're having trouble sourcing.
Welcome! Can you really walk up to Gawith's to get what you want? I'd love some Ennerdale plug, before it's sliced into Ennerdale! (As you may know, Gawith & Hoggarth sells Ennerdale, which is a flake, but not the plug).

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hello & welcome from Hereford.
Before you chuck out the Rich Dark Flake, just check that it's definitely mould & not 'bloom'.

Enjoy the camping trip - do check to see whether that's definitely mould on the RDF though as mentioned by @simong it could be 'bloom'... in which case it'll be quite tasty. If you're not sure, put some pics up on here and people will let you know.
Welcome to the Forums.

Good advice. Take a few pics and post before you get rid of the RDF.
If it's bloom and not mould, you will be in for a treat.

Hope your camping trip is as enjoyable as anticipated, and more

Reactions: 5star and Dudditz
Status
Not open for further replies.