PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2020
Like many on here, I've spent a fair amount of time gleaning peoples' opinions on everything under the sun related to the glorious leaf, but hadn't made an account!

I'm the pastor of a church in Central Alabama, between Tuscaloosa and Birmingham. I find my pipe helps me to ponder and reflect, and as Tolkien (sort of) said "the body is a temple, and every good church needs incense." I've always liked the line.

I find that I smoke billiards and dublins mostly, although I do have a Canadian that I'm rather fond of. But truth be told, I'm a tobacco guy as opposed to a pipe guy. So while I enjoy a good piece of briar, my attention is almost always turned toward shiny tins!

I love English blends, but given that I live in a pretty hot, humid place, I find myself gravitating toward Virginias, with or without perique. The Capstan twins have been doing me quite well as of late. I would say also, that with a few exceptions, I'm not an aromatic smoker. I just never really enjoyed them.

Looking forward to engaging in discussions here!

Jun 5, 2020
Well I definitely stumbled through my share of blends before I settled where I did. I almost put it down (believe it or not) because I thought OTC blends were all that was on offer! Then I found online retailers and everything changed...

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Welcome from Sweden!
Glad you decided to join in!

I've personally been serious about pipe smoking for about a year now and I am currently stumbling through as many different blends I can get my hands on trying to find what tickles my fancy. The internet sure is a great thing for availability.

Reactions: bowtieandbriar

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. One of my mentors in college was a native of Haleyville, Alabama, in Winston County I believe it was. Superb writer, died way too young. Also have a friend in N.C., a woman writer, who grew up in Birmingham, who also was a singer songwriter in country music, in addition to being trained in classic Greek and Latin -- what a gal.

Jun 5, 2020
Welcome from Southeast Tennessee.

While I serve in Alabama, I am essentially a life-long resident of East Tennessee and something like a 13th generation East Tennessean. I went to Tennessee and ETSU, grew up in Loudon County, and 90% of my extended family lives in either Knox or Polk/McMinn Counties (Delano/Etowah area)!

Reactions: petes03
Jun 5, 2020
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. One of my mentors in college was a native of Haleyville, Alabama, in Winston County I believe it was. Superb writer, died way too young. Also have a friend in N.C., a woman writer, who grew up in Birmingham, who also was a singer songwriter in country music, in addition to being trained in classic Greek and Latin -- what a gal.
I’ve been through Haleyville a few times. Do you know what part of Birmingham she was from? She sounds eclectic at the very least!

Status
Not open for further replies.