PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Andim

Lurker
Jul 8, 2022
Welcome to the forum!

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought tobacco was banned in Saudi Arabia?
I've been living here for about two months, so this is my experience so far: Sisha, used in hookahs, is sold in bulk everywhere. Pipe tobacco is not so common, because - I guess- locals don't smoke pipes. Cigars, and cigar lounges, are easier to find. As far as I know, tobacco can be imported. I placed an order from one of the US sponsors here and I am waiting to see how bad the customs duties and taxes are going to be.

Reactions: kcghost

Andim

Lurker
Jul 8, 2022
I was wondering when I'd hear from fellow pipers who lived here. Thanks for the message. I like to sit outside in the dead of the night, around 2am, and smoke. It's the only time it's bearable to smoke outdoors. Helps with drying out the tobacco, too.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
Hi everyone,

I am a novice piper, currently living in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. I picked up my first pipe a year ago, when I was living in England. After 20 years of smoking cigars, I finally felt the urge to smoke a pipe, like my father did. (He quit when I was born. One of my earliest childhood memories was a huge tin of Half-Half that he had stashed away in a closet). Having started pipe smoking in England, I naturally gravitated towards Gawith tobaccos, VaPer and Orientals. The situation is very different in Saudi Arabia. I can only find Captain Black and some Amphoras (as I am writing this post, I am smoking the Amphora Black Cavendish, which I thoroughly dislike, in a lovely Ser Jacopo bent chimney). I put in my first mail order from the US to try out some of the American tobaccos. Sadly, Saudi customs impose limitations on the amount of tobacco that can be imported, and it's a shame since I regularly smoked five bowls a day. I am eager to get to know you guys and girls.
Welcome from Virginia

Reactions: Andim

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
I am from Saudi Arabia, and it isn't as bad except in taxes. You can order pipe tobacco online, up to 2kg which is plenty even with 5 bowls a day (I smoke 4-6 bowls a day, and I had a order of 2kg that lasted about a year!) just make sure to order (Tobacco) every 3 months, since they don't want merchants supplying pipe tobacco and selling them without registration, and pay the "Tobacco taxes" which is 200% over the normal prices, so if a pipe tobacco costs 10 dollars, add an additional 200% (Plus the VAT 15%, totaling 215%) on top of it which would be 31.5 dollars in total (Tobacco taxes are paid either online through a SMS message when the customs send you a bill, or when receiving the package from the post). Pipes are taxed 20%, just 5% more than the VAT.

Do not purchase pipes with tobacco. They would end up taxing the pipe with tobacco taxes, and you will pay the tobacco tax on top of the pipe. Buy them individually.

It sucks that it is expensive, but at least there isn't confusing laws that would end you up with crazy compounding numbers or complete prohibition of buying tobacco online which used to be the case I believe before Covid-19.

Andim

Lurker
Jul 8, 2022
I am from Saudi Arabia, and it isn't as bad except in taxes. You can order pipe tobacco online, up to 2kg which is plenty even with 5 bowls a day (I smoke 4-6 bowls a day, and I had a order of 2kg that lasted about a year!) just make sure to order (Tobacco) every 3 months, since they don't want merchants supplying pipe tobacco and selling them without registration, and pay the "Tobacco taxes" which is 200% over the normal prices, so if a pipe tobacco costs 10 dollars, add an additional 200% (Plus the VAT 15%, totaling 215%) on top of it which would be 31.5 dollars in total (Tobacco taxes are paid either online through a SMS message when the customs send you a bill, or when receiving the package from the post). Pipes are taxed 20%, just 5% more than the VAT.

Do not purchase pipes with tobacco. They would end up taxing the pipe with tobacco taxes, and you will pay the tobacco tax on top of the pipe. Buy them individually.

It sucks that it is expensive, but at least there isn't confusing laws that would end you up with crazy compounding numbers or complete prohibition of buying tobacco online which used to be the case I believe before Covid-19.
I am extremely grateful for this information. This is very clear and straightforward. I don't mind paying the customs duties. My first order is 4 tins of 8oz each, which I think amounts to about 1kg. You've made my day! Thank you!

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
I am extremely grateful for this information. This is very clear and straightforward. I don't mind paying the customs duties. My first order is 4 tins of 8oz each, which I think amounts to about 1kg. You've made my day! Thank you!
I am glad! Just know we have it better than a lot of countries. Pay your taxes and you're good to go. Do not get addicted to buying pipes, and enjoy your evening!

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I am glad! Just know we have it better than a lot of countries. Pay your taxes and you're good to go. Do not get addicted to buying pipes, and enjoy your evening!
Dang right y'all are.
I can only order 5 x 1.76/50g tins every order, although not too sure of the frequency of orders.
Anyway, turns out that Andim got a real nice surprise today.
And welcome to the forum too, Andim. Turns out to be beneficial for you already. ? puffy

Reactions: Andim and Law

MikeCifone

Lurker
Jul 14, 2022
Los Angeles
Hi everyone,

I am a novice piper, currently living in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. I picked up my first pipe a year ago, when I was living in England. After 20 years of smoking cigars, I finally felt the urge to smoke a pipe, like my father did. (He quit when I was born. One of my earliest childhood memories was a huge tin of Half-Half that he had stashed away in a closet). Having started pipe smoking in England, I naturally gravitated towards Gawith tobaccos, VaPer and Orientals. The situation is very different in Saudi Arabia. I can only find Captain Black and some Amphoras (as I am writing this post, I am smoking the Amphora Black Cavendish, which I thoroughly dislike, in a lovely Ser Jacopo bent chimney). I put in my first mail order from the US to try out some of the American tobaccos. Sadly, Saudi customs impose limitations on the amount of tobacco that can be imported, and it's a shame since I regularly smoked five bowls a day. I am eager to get to know you guys and girls.
Welcome from Los Angeles! We need to get you set up with a tobacco runner out to the Gulf…

Reactions: Andim