PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

desrtrat68

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome. I’m back in the South (NC) after almost 20 years in Phoenix. I like your handle—for years my online gaming screen name was DesertRat68. You’ll get a lot of advice from great folks here.

Much appreciated Parsimonious Piper! Usually, I just go by desrtrat (gaming tag too), but apparently that was already taken on here, so when that happens I just add the 68. It's usually available. Well I hope you're enjoying NC! I visited there once (Raleigh (sp?)/Durham area) and thought it was really nice.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Hi Everyone,

I'm Dan...software engineer by day, international man of mystery by night, and honey do list destroyer on weekends. I'm a complete noob to pipe smoking. Haven't smoked one bowl yet, but the stuff is on the way. I'm trying to soak up as much info as I can at this point so I can give myself the greatest chance at success. After reading some posts and viewing some videos I may have jumped the gun with some of the tobaccos I ordered, but at least it was just small amounts.

I smoked cigarettes for about 25 years, then switched to vaping about 10 years ago. I'm at a point now where I just don't want to be putting things in my lungs anymore but still want the relaxing aspects of smoking. I'm not a big cigar fan so I figured I'd give pipes a shot. My biggest concern at this point is that I'm not sure that I'm qualified to smoke a pipe. I'm unable to grow an epic beard which seems to be a requirement from what i've seen on the youtube videos I've been watching. ;)

Generally, I'm a lurker in forums, but will contribute if I feel I have something to say. I guess I've just always believed it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to open my mouth and remove all doubt ( note the first sentence of post above). Looking forward to e-meeting you all. I've already been lurking here for a bit and figured I'd take the plunge and jump in.

Welcome Dan mate, from England.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome from North Phoenix. Yes, ye Olde is must go. Great selection tons of knowledge. Always treated nicely and welcomed. Excellent selection of pipes and tobacco. Try to support our local shop as much as I can.

desrtrat68

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome from North Phoenix. Yes, ye Olde is must go. Great selection tons of knowledge. Always treated nicely and welcomed. Excellent selection of pipes and tobacco. Try to support our local shop as much as I can.

Thanks for the welcome jttnk! I actually work in North Phoenix. Yes, as several had recommended it, I did stop by Ye Olde a few days ago. Picked up a cob and a few samples to try. They were helpful but not pushy. I'll definately be back. Probably tomorrow haha.

jaxonlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
Butte, Montana, USA
There is endless minutiae to all things pipes and pipe tobacco. And it is all poured over here on a daily basis to remind you of everything you must learn, prioritize, memorize, avoid, and fret over...and sometimes panic over...

This is all just the tip of the iceberg, but all in all, it's a tranquil, relaxing "hobby".

Don't forget the final examination to earn your "Official Pedantic Pipe-smoking Accreditation Certification". It will make your SATs and GREs look tame by comparison!

Status
Not open for further replies.