PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
@StayPufft If you're going to go head first into the pipes and tobaccos world (and no one here would blame you), it might even make sense economically to get a US mail box in Buffalo. It would be cheaper to drive there, pick up your pipes and tobacco at a huge discount and drive it home. Not entirely serious but, as an ex-Torontonian, I know the pain of provincial taxes and customs. Anyhooo ... welcome from NYC.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
@StayPufft If you're going to go head first into the pipes and tobaccos world (and no one here would blame you), it might even make sense economically to get a US mail box in Buffalo. It would be cheaper to drive there, pick up your pipes and tobacco at a huge discount and drive it home. Not entirely serious but, as an ex-Torontonian, I know the pain of provincial taxes and customs. Anyhooo ... welcome from NYC.
If I lived closer to the border, this is precisely what I would do. Mind you, with the rising costs of gas, you may not want to do that too often haha

• Haha
Reactions: dunnyboy

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
The cost of tobacco in Ontario is absolutely insane. I just ordered a $6 tin of Sutliff from Smoking Pipes and got dinged $29 in duty!!!! So in total, with the exchange rate, I paid about $40 for 2 oz. Just criminal.

• Wow
Reactions: jiminy

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
The cost of tobacco in Ontario is absolutely insane. I just ordered a $6 tin of Sutliff from Smoking Pipes and got dinged $29 in duty!!!! So in total, with the exchange rate, I paid about $40 for 2 oz. Just criminal.
Yet even with the duty it is cheaper than buying at a local tobacco shop (at least it is in Saskatchewan). Criminal is the correct word

SpyHill

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2022
Victoria, BC
You'd have to spend 48 hours outside Canada every time, no? You may not be entirely serious, but I might be. I'm trying to get my head around the regulations. I'm not too far from the North Dakota/Sask border (at least I won't be when I move next month). I'm waiting to see if I get dinged on 4.5 ounces from SP. If I do, I will become even more serious about the cross border trip.

jeffya2

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2015
Ontario Canada
Hello everyone, I have been smoking a pipe for about nine years off and on but within the last year or so I've been getting into it a lot more and now I'm concerned it's becoming a problem. Figured I might as well stop lurking and introduce myself.

Within the last nine months I have tripled my pipe collection and quadrupled my cellar. Now with the influence of this forum I have acquired a taste for artisan pipes and rare tobaccos (I may need help...). This forum has been an excellent resource and wealth of knowledge, if not just a bad influence.
Welcome from Ontario, Canada. lots of great help and info here

Status
Not open for further replies.