PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Naits

Lurker
Mar 12, 2023
Helgeland, Norway
Welcome from Central Oregon, USA.

If I might ask, how is pipe smoking viewed in Norway?
Thank you! Well, it is viewed pretty OLD fashioned! No hit at all...Probably not a surprise. Generally not cool, though in certain circles it is. I really don't care about that. Much more concerned about the strict norwegian tobacco policy..

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Naits

Lurker
Mar 12, 2023
Helgeland, Norway
Welcome from an Irishman in New Zealand. Is pipe smoking accessible in Norway? What are the prices of tobacco like? Nice to meet you.
Thank you, mate! Yes, to a limited extent it is accessible. To obtain a variety of good pipes is though not so easy. Good well known tobaccos is hard to find. Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim has a couple of nice shops who offers some good ones (english/irish, german and danish). I some times order from there...Or mostly when I'm abroad.
And prices in Norway? I hardly dare to answer. About 40$ for 50 gr (puke)

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hello pipe smoking fellows!
I´m happy to be able join you here. I am a Norwegian, and I have been a pipe smoker since 1996. My first proper pipe was a bent Danske Club. At that time I lived in Hamburg, where I was studying until 2001. My regular pipe shop there was Pfeifen Tesch, a really nice shop downtown (is recommended!).
English (and partly irish and some scandinavian pipe makers) straight, classy pipes is for me a passion, and I prefer tobaccos in the pure English taste direction. Lately there have been some new pipe investments.

(Pipe smoking at -10 Celcius is pleasant)

Kind regards,
Stian (Naits)
Hey welcome from pa. I certainly don't fully agree with the -10 Celsius part that's right where I start thinking I can wait till tomorrow to smoke. I had to do the conversions though to realize that -10 is far more bareable then I assumed it would be.
So I've been pipe smoking two years longer then you and yes it's competition. But only for people who started smoking pipes 94 or later. ;)

Reactions: Naits

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Thank you, mate! Yes, to a limited extent it is accessible. To obtain a variety of good pipes is though not so easy. Good well known tobaccos is hard to find. Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim has a couple of nice shops who offers some good ones (english/irish, german and danish). I some times order from there...Or mostly when I'm abroad.
And prices in Norway? I hardly dare to answer. About 40$ for 50 gr (puke)
I have to be honest. I personally find the price here in the U.S. astonishing the other way. I can't believe I can get something that is luxurious for such a price. I guess what I am saying is I'd always prefer spending less for more always, but you could drive the price up quite a bit before I think it's too much (sadly my wallet doesn't always agree with that).

Highlandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2023
Clynder, Argyll & Bute, G84 0QX
Welcome form Scotland, I was in your beautiful country Nov22, in Bergen, absolutely stunning place with such friendly people and had a good smoke of my pipe on the summit of Lovstakken and amazingly a friendly local spotted the pipe pulled out his own and a 30 min smoke on a snowy hilltop was had. A real lasting pipe memory.

Naits

Lurker
Mar 12, 2023
Helgeland, Norway
Welcome form Scotland, I was in your beautiful country Nov22, in Bergen, absolutely stunning place with such friendly people and had a good smoke of my pipe on the summit of Lovstakken and amazingly a friendly local spotted the pipe pulled out his own and a 30 min smoke on a snowy hilltop was had. A real lasting pipe memory.
Thanks a lot. Oh nice! Glad to hear that. Sounds like quite a memory. Yes, Bergen is lovely, and actually for some reason pipe smoking is more common there..

Reactions: Highlandpiper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey from central North Carolina, and welcome aboard. One of my middle school and high school friends was a proud Norwegian American, and when I moved from the area, he later became a good friend to my father. He was one of the founders of a Norwegian Day parade in my hometown, a suburb of Chicago, and often as not, Ralph (his name) was riding in one of the lead convertibles in the parade. As I recall, he had a huge crush on the homecoming queen beautiful girl in our high school class who was also Norwegian.

• Love