PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
My mom lives in auburn so i drive through all the time. Is there a local b&m you reccomend?
I can point one out but it's hard for me to recommend it. Tobacco Road in Sacramento has a lot of cigars and a pretty fair selection of pipe tobaccos and pipes all on the high end of retail prices. It's also got two nice seating areas that are free to use if you buy product from them.

I never recommend the shop though because the owner is moody and about 50% of the time I've been in there I felt I was treated rudely. For example, one time I complimented him on his selection of Castellos and he sneered in reply: "compliments don't pay my bills."

The other times I've been in there were great though. Go figure.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
The owner of tobacco Road has always treated me right. I do try to buy something. I am sure that the Tobacco B&M business has been rough. ( we have lost the most sucessfull area retail shop. Braier Patch, last year because of the anti tobacco climate). But

1) Tobacco Rroad does have a decent tobacco stock and pipes also.
2) They are the only shop left in Sacramento.

Want Brick and Morter shop? Patronise them.
NUF said!

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
The owner of tobacco Road has always treated me right. I do try to buy something. I am sure that the Tobacco B&M business has been rough. ( we have lost the most successful area retail shop. Briar Patch, last year because of the anti tobacco climate). But

1) Tobacco Road does have a decent tobacco stock and pipes also.
2) They are the only shop left in Sacramento.

Want Brick and Mortar shop? Patronize them.
NUF said!
I was broken hearted when the Briar Patch closed so I know how important it is to patronize brick and mortar stores. But the people at the Briar Patch treated me, my pipe club, and my friends with common courtesy. I always felt welcome there even if I was just stopping in to buy a couple ounces of a house blend and some pipe cleaners. The owner of Tobacco Road, on the other hand, insults people if they don't spend $400 more on a Castello than they would if they bought it online.

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
I can point one out but it's hard for me to recommend it. Tobacco Road in Sacramento has a lot of cigars and a pretty fair selection of pipe tobaccos and pipes all on the high end of retail prices. It's also got two nice seating areas that are free to use if you buy product from them.

I never recommend the shop though because the owner is moody and about 50% of the time I've been in there I felt I was treated rudely. For example, one time I complimented him on his selection of Castellos and he sneered in reply: "compliments don't pay my bills."

The other times I've been in there were great though. Go figure.
Thanks. I will probably stop by and see if they have anything thats hard to get online or that sparks my interest enough to pay the in person mark up. Hopefully they arent too rude. I have never been warmly received in tobacco shops. I have always assumed because it was because of dirty jeans, shaggy appearance and long hair. Maybe its the cannabis aroma cause thats what im smoking half the time. Either way, im used to being treated a little standoffishly in shops so he wont hurt my feelings or stop me from purchasing some rare.

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Welcome from the the Bay Area. I used to live in Cloverdale when I first moved to California for a few years. I really enjoyed Sonoma county.

Reactions: OlJawBone

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi there, i live in northern california, about to move to LA, hoping to find a good B&M near Glendale/Eagle Rock. I love smoking a pipe even though I have only been doing it for about six months now. My favorite blend so far is Glengarry Flake from G&H

happy to be a new member of the community!
Welcome back to the savage South! Your hopes for a good tobacconist who carries anything pipe related in the Glendale/Eagle Rock area are hopeless. For pipes and pipe tobaccos the closest thing would be Tobacco Trader near Marina Del Rey and The Tinderbox in the South Coast Plaza. You might find the occasional pouch of dried out Borkum Riff at a liquor store. That's about it. LaLa Land is a pipe tobacco desert.

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
Welcome back to the savage South! Your hopes for a good tobacconist who carries anything pipe related in the Glendale/Eagle Rock area are hopeless. For pipes and pipe tobaccos the closest thing would be Tobacco Trader near Marina Del Rey and The Tinderbox in the South Coast Plaza. You might find the occasional pouch of dried out Borkum Riff at a liquor store. That's about it. LaLa Land is a pipe tobacco desert.
Ok so i actually just visited my friend who i am moving in with and the headshop on colorado ave called m and m tobacco and gift shop actually carries Mac Baren products and i was able to pick up some pure virginia flake that wasnt dust in the tin. The owner of the shop is a nice guy and said that he keeps good pipe tobacco on hand for a few regular customers who have been coming in for years. It was a pleasant surprise.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I was broken hearted when the Briar Patch closed so I know how important it is to patronize brick and mortar stores. But the people at the Briar Patch treated me, my pipe club, and my friends with common courtesy. I always felt welcome there even if I was just stopping in to buy a couple ounces of a house blend and some pipe cleaners. The owner of Tobacco Road, on the other hand, insults people if they don't spend $400 more on a Castello than they would if they bought it online.
and the best part being nice is free. Being a dick costs them. No reason to put up with abuse even mild abuse to give someone your money. When I get treated like that by business owners I always think the same thing which is "you entitled prick no one owes you patronage".

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ok so i actually just visited my friend who i am moving in with and the headshop on colorado ave called m and m tobacco and gift shop actually carries Mac Baren products and i was able to pick up some pure virginia flake that wasnt dust in the tin. The owner of the shop is a nice guy and said that he keeps good pipe tobacco on hand for a few regular customers who have been coming in for years. It was a pleasant surprise.
Good to know. MacBaren is good stuff!

If you're looking for a wider range I suspect that you'll have to try the places I mentioned, and if you visit San Diego, there's Liberty Tobacco. If the owner of the shop on Colorado is open to taking orders, he may be able to buy stock for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.