PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Welcome from your southern neighbor in Burlington. What area of WI are you in?
Didimauw,
I'm in Niagara, about 4 hrs. due north. I just passed by you the other day, on my way back from a family wedding down south.
If you're ever up this way, PM me if you want to meet up!

Reactions: kcghost

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Welcome from the Central Coast of California!

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.
Jpmcwjr,
Thanks for the tip! I've now taken care of this. I appreciate it!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Welcome aboard from central N.C. Growing up, my family used to vacation at Door County among other places. What a lucky find at the antique store.
Mso489,
I'm a couple hours from Door County, and take my family there several times a year. In fact, my wife and I spent part of our honeymoon there. Thanks for saying Hi!

Reactions: jp267nh

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hi, Everybody,

I'm hailing from NE WI. I have a bunch of kids, have done a variety of things (from teaching classical literature to managing a taproom to cabinet drafting), enjoy traditional archery, have lately tried my hand at making fly rods (despite never catching anything when pretending to fly fish), and (more to the point) have smoked pipes for something like twelve years.

I was raised with a tobacco taboo, but as a young boy who loved Lewis and Tolkien I told my dad, "I won't smoke... but IF I do, it will be a pipe."

About twelve years ago, I ducked into an antique shop and asked if they had any tobacco pipes around. I left that shop with one of those old, Decatur 24 pipe racks, complete with fourteen pipes, among them a Savinelli, a Peterson, a Sasieni, a Comoy's, a couple of Ascortis, etc. *All for $20 (!)* I didn't realize at that time that I had landed some really decent pipes for practically nothing.

In those early days, I liked Shortcut to Mushrooms (RIP), and Boswell's Northwoods (still do). Eventually FM Cellar became my favorite (also RIP...). These days, favorites include Plum Pudding, Cabbies Mixture, etc.

I've read the pipesmagazine forums for a long time. In fact, it may be that I've learned more from these forums, over the years, than from any other source. But I never joined until today.

If you happen to be in NE Wisconsin (or the adjacent part of the UP) and ever want to smoke pipes together, I'd be glad to.
charming story about the antique store. Has a sort of fairy tale vibe. The best part though is there is literally nothing unbelievable about it. If you have to smoke pipes are probably one of the best ways to go for pleasure and health. It's a rare thing where the healthier alternative is also the more tasty and enjoyable one :)

Reactions: SBC

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Didimauw,
I'm in Niagara, about 4 hrs. due north. I just passed by you the other day, on my way back from a family wedding down south.
If you're ever up this way, PM me if you want to meet up!
Sounds good, will do! There's a couple of us on here in Wisconsin!

Aug 1, 2012
As a new resident of WI (414 represent y'all...kidding) I hope to possibly meet some of you this year. Welcome SBC.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Chilllucky,
Few of the "camps" are owned by those local to them, so it's hard to develop a relationship. But for whatever it's worth--and if you can settle for a NG fireplace--you're welcome to visit my home in Niagara for a pipe and a whiskey!
Do you have an especially steep and twisty driveway?

I'll look you up next time I get to Nicolet! Do find me if you ever get down to Chicago.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Do you have an especially steep and twisty driveway?

I'll look you up next time I get to Nicolet! Do find me if you ever get down to Chicago.
I regret to dash your hopes, but my driveway is flat and straight. My 1.5 acres is, however, 2/3s wooded, and the large, picture window by my (NG) fireplace faces the woods across the street so that, when large snowflakes are falling, I can angle myself in such a way that I see only a backdrop of trees and imagine that I am much more isolated from other residences than I actually am.
I do bow hunt within walking distance of my house, though, so feel free to enter my occasional fantasy that I live in a remote cabin...

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
I'm from SE Wisconsin originally. Welcome! Somewhere I have a few pipes someone was hand carving I think in NE Wisconsin. My father bought four in the early 80s. They have a very unique bowl and Sha k design. Will try to find and post.

Welcome aboard!!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've read the pipesmagazine forums for a long time. In fact, it may be that I've learned more from these forums, over the years, than from any other source. But I never joined until today.
Thank you for coming in from the shadows. Its nice when lurkers join the club - they already know the members to avoid.

Enjoy your stay in our corner of the internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.