PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibjones

Lurker
Feb 20, 2018
Hello, I'm a newbie from NC.
I'm a cigar smoker but have 'dallied around" with pipes for many years. I recently started enjoying a pipe again. I have three that I've picked up over the years, a Missouri Meerschaum, A Savenelli small bowl briar, and a large bowl Mastro de Paja briar.
I look forward to reading thru all the info here and learning about pipes. I think I'm probably not doing it right and I have some questions I'll find the answers to.
I think from what I've read and understand I'm smoking my pipes to hot. I usually get a "toasted" or "burnt" feeling on my tongue or the roof of my mouth, which I guess is because the smoke is too hot.
I think I also don't know how to pack the bowl because I have to constantly relight my pipe every 2 or 3 minutes. From what I've read and think I understand, it's supposed to be loose near the bottom and tighter at the top but I just don't know how to achieve that.
I have a few bins of tobacco, OTC Prince Albert and Carter Hall and I prefer the Carter Hall to the PA. I also have some ziplock bags of some unknown blends I've purchased at tobacco shops over the years. Not because I know what I'm buying but because I like the smell of it in the jar.
Today I bought a little blend from the tobacco store that is called "Balkan Supreme" and I kind of like it. The guy said it was an English blend with a full body.
Having smoked cigars since the 90's I'm usually the one giving advice on blends and brands and sizes, but in the pipe field I'm the one needing the advice.
I guess I'm just a newbie who doesn't have a clue what he's doing when it comes to puffing on a pipe. My knowledge on how to smoke a pipe is limited to "put the tobacco in, light it on fire, and puff on it."
I just wish I could learn how to limit the "light it on fire" part to under 100 times per bowl. It gets tiresome and I'm buying butane by the quart. LOL
Thanks for allowing me to the group.

ibjones

Lurker
Feb 20, 2018
Morehead City
Pipes.jpg

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Check out, YouTube, there's plenty of videos on packing a pipe. Try every technique you view on YouTube. Eventually you'll discover your own technique.

Jan 8, 2013
Try setting your tobacco out to dry a little bit before you load your pipe. Overly moist tobacco will be hard to keep lit, as well as create a lot of steam that will burn your mouth and tongue. Also after you load your pipe, check the draw. If it feels too tight it probably is. If it feels too loose (like an empty straw) it probably is. These will both make it hard to keep lit. It's better to pack loose check the draw, and then press the tobacco down just a bit until it feels right. Tea through a straw. Not a milkshake and not empty air.
Oh, and welcome!

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
HAHA...you must be one of the first people that has ever NOT known how to do this when getting into this hobby.... ;)
No sir, you're right were you belong. People start into this for varied reasons, but I think I've heard that story the most. "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke." You'll probably hear that many times on the forum, almost as much as "slow down".
Hang out here, and you'll be an old hat at this soon. Welcome, and enjoy the journey.

At first I thought maybe you would be someone I would run into in one of the Mountain cities I am always rambling around in, but you are on the beach. Very beautiful area. I almost moved my store to the OBX, but I had a friend in real-estate there who demanded that, that was not a smart idea. And for once, stubborn me listened. Welcome aboard. Shake the sand out of you pipe and join us in our shared passions for this hobby, pasttime, addiction, or whatever means of association you wish to refer to it.

The more the merrier.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, welcome! The single most important advice I can give is dry the tobacco down a bunch before loading. When it's dry enough, packing "technique" isn't necessary, nor a lot of relights, nor much tongue burn. Enjoy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome to Forums. I'm over in the center of the Old North State in Raleigh. You might want to check out the TAPS pipe show at the Fairgrounds in Raleigh in April (April 7). I spent many sunny weekends and weeks at Morehead City/Atlantic Beach where my late wife's family had/have a summer cottage a few rows back from the shore. Love the seafood; the Sanitary Fish Market was a favorite spot, a tourist place but also a good moderate priced seafood restaurant for the locals too, at that time. I haven't been there for years, hope they still do good Bogue Sound clam chowder. I think you'll find Forums a great place for information, answers, opinion and entertainment. People stay on the pipe subject and otherwise keep it neutral, which make this an oasis online.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Welcome to the forums! I am sure you will find all the information you could ever ask for, all right here. Everyone here loves to share their wisdom and experience with the pipe smoking hobby. As mentioned above, you will need to dry some tobaccos out before smoking to help reduce relights. Once you get the bowl going try to do more little puffs instead of big long hard puffs. The last quick piece of advice...get some Ball canning jars. The tobacco will quickly dry out in the baggies. Even if you just put the baggies in the jars, they will be kept nice and moist. Good luck and again, welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.