PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishNChips

Lurker
Nov 19, 2021
N California
Hello! Just joined the forum. I am a very casual pipe smoker with an interest in restoring older pipes and trying to grow my own pipe tobacco this next year. My friends and I enjoy a pipe around the campfire and during our 18th century re-enactments. I have a lot to learn but enjoy the knowledge on the site!

Thank You!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. I'm not a re-enactor, but we've had several members here who mentioned they are. I know you have to align the pipes carefully with the period being depicted. Candidate pipes that might be considered, appropriate to the historical time are clay pipes, Old Dominion corn cob pipes with reed stems recently purchased by Missouri Meerschaum and available from them, and Missouri Meerschaum hardwood pipes that may approximate the pipes of an earlier time. I saw a hardwood depicting the contents of a whaling ship sailor's sea chest, and it looked at home.

FishNChips

Lurker
Nov 19, 2021
N California
Thanks!

i have several 18th century style pipes already, a few clay pipes, a metal with reed stem, a clay with reed stem, and a few more “modern” burl pipes. I have one pressed meerschaum that needs a stem.

i hope to find a few more estate pipes around at sales and in the shops and restore them. I have a bunch of wood working and tools, and ordered a vintage kleen reem and butner to clean the bowls a bit easier. I love restoring antiques and old tools.

i have a nice garden and hope to play around with growing some Virginia next spring and trying some simple processing. I have always loved learning and trying new skills.

i appreciate the welcome!

Reactions: The Clay King
Status
Not open for further replies.