PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I bought my first pipe (Dr. Grabow bent stem) and first pouch of tobacco (Captian Black Gold) in 1984. I was 18 and both choices were determined by what was available at the PX. Now I have more pipes than I'll admit to publicly and a wonderful tobacconist who has never steered me wrong while introducing me to many differnt blends. I'm looking forward to learning more and offering something when I have something worth contributing. My current go to is my Vauen 4168 warden and a blend called 1917 from John Dengler; perfect for sitting next to the fire after dinner.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife and I met in Columbia, Mo., in 1966. She was from rural Mo. and I was from near Chicago. We met at journalism school in Columbia, Mo. She had a career in NYC and on Long Island for many years, and I worked here in central N.C., and we married in our mid-sixties, when I was a widower. We pulled for the Chiefs in the recent Super Bowl, for the Missouri connection.

Reactions: Pierre1965

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
Welcome from NE FL. I lived my first 48 years in MO. Since you mentioned Dengler, I take it you are from the STL area?
I live southwest of STL on 44. I'm a transplant, but I've been here 18 years. I like Dengler's; the atmosphere is always relaxed. I also like supporting a tobacconist that has been in the same family for 103 years. I'm heading there this weekend and getting ready for the St. Louis pipe show on the 15th.

Reactions: dcon

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
Welcome from Colorado.
Thanks. I lived near Bailey for several years after I got out of the Army. I miss setting out at night enjoying a pipe during a mountain snow storm. There's a special quality of silence that only a snowy mountain night can produce.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
My wife and I met in Columbia, Mo., in 1966. She was from rural Mo. and I was from near Chicago. We met at journalism school in Columbia, Mo. She had a career in NYC and on Long Island for many years, and I worked here in central N.C., and we married in our mid-sixties, when I was a widower. We pulled for the Chiefs in the recent Super Bowl, for the Missouri connection.
My wife's a Mizzou alum. I think it's lovely that you reconnected. The mother of one of my childhood friends was widowed quite young; she didn't remarry until she was 78. A gentleman she'd dated in high school had been married for a long time and had also been widowed. He'd never stopped thinking of her and with the help of FB and his children they reconnected. Love has no expiration date.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
Welcome aboard! 84 was about the year I bought my first pipe while in the military, LOL!
Got it at the PX in Baumholder, Germany. My platoon sergeant smoked a pipe and I told him I wanted one. He told me to buy a bent stem because a straight stem would poke through my throat if I fell down while smoking it. I was 18 and he was a sage old (probably 35) man, so that sounded like good advise!

Reactions: Elric

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
So you realize that to stand out here you'll need a few hundred pipes. I got 8 (9 really but that last one isn't any good) and I feel like I have a sparse collection. There was a time that three seemed like I had so many pipes.
I certainly don't have enough to stand out in this crowd, but I have enough that I try not to keep them all in the same place where my wife could get a good count :)

Status
Not open for further replies.