Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
The Michigan presence is strong and active on the forum. Being from the Mitten State, we have our gloves on.

Metro Detroit here (in the same neighborhood I grew up in after living half my life in Lansing). We have other active members from the north, Grand Rapids, and near the Indiana border too.

Greatlaker

Lurker
Jan 27, 2023
Well I get around the state so… Campbell’s in East Lansing is a favorite. Smokey’s in Bloomfield. Churchills in B’ham has Savinelli and Peterson’s. Nolan’s in Traverse City. Indian River Traders in Grand Rapids. Paul’s of course is a standard.

Eric
Bought my first good pipe from Campbell's back in my undergrad days at MSU in 1968. Churchill's , from their website, is just cigars. Am I correct? Like the song says, "Don't Get Around Much Anymore."

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Bought my first good pipe from Campbell's back in my undergrad days at MSU in 1968. Churchill's , from their website, is just cigars. Am I correct? Like the song says, "Don't Get Around Much Anymore."
They have some Peterson’s, Mac Baren and Davidoff tins depending on location. Birmingham has the pipes tho and the most tins. Not much for tobacco selection tho and prices are higher than online of course.
Campbell’s caught my eye because my daughter is there for her undergrad. They have added tins now and do bring in some goodies. Lots of pipes too. Super friendly and fun stop when I’m in town.

Greatlaker

Lurker
Jan 27, 2023
They have some Peterson’s, Mac Baren and Davidoff tins depending on location. Birmingham has the pipes tho and the most tins. Not much for tobacco selection tho and prices are higher than online of course.
Campbell’s caught my eye because my daughter is there for her undergrad. They have added tins now and do bring in some goodies. Lots of pipes too. Super friendly and fun stop when I’m in town.
I'll check out Churchills. Thanks for the update. I used to sell display advertising for the Royal Oak Tribune and Churchills was my account. The then owner was Ray Sobleton. He introduced me to Craven's Mixture. Ray was a great guy to chat with regarding pipes and tobacco.
Re: Campbells. The match boxes had the owner's caricature on them. I used to run into his son at the Malaga Pipe in Royal Oak. At that time, he was a rep for Savinelli. When my son went to State, I'd stop in. Great store. Haven't been back in a very long time.
Go Green!!!!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The Michigan presence is strong and active on the forum. Being from the Mitten State, we have our gloves on.

Metro Detroit here (in the same neighborhood I grew up in after living half my life in Lansing). We have other active members from the north, Grand Rapids, and near the Indiana border too.
there are certainly some clusters here. PA and Texas also have a weirdly high number of forum members. If PA is any indication it's not just that we have pipe smokers, but we have pipe smokers who live in a state that raises the question of why bother going outside.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
I'll check out Churchills. Thanks for the update. I used to sell display advertising for the Royal Oak Tribune and Churchills was my account. The then owner was Ray Sobleton. He introduced me to Craven's Mixture. Ray was a great guy to chat with regarding pipes and tobacco.
Re: Campbells. The match boxes had the owner's caricature on them. I used to run into his son at the Malaga Pipe in Royal Oak. At that time, he was a rep for Savinelli. When my son went to State, I'd stop in. Great store. Haven't been back in a very long time.
Go Green!!!!
There is a glass fronted box on the wall in Campbell’s that has a bunch of Savinelli that I was told were the old owners pipes. Each is supposedly one offs that were made special for him, this makes sense now. Next time I’m in the shop I will get some pictures. Glad you reminded me.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant