Status
Not open for further replies.

BobSandifer

Lurker
Jan 30, 2021
Macon Georgia
bobsandifer.com
Welcome from the Northland, USA

What made you convert from cigar to pipe?
Thank you for the welcome. I’m 55 now and up until 5 years ago I had never smoked anything. I do mean anything anything. In my industry we are a scotch and cigar group so I decided to just pick up the hobby of cigars. My dr said no worries since I didn’t inhale.

I did enjoy the discussions and the buying of goodies and spending the $$$ was ok but to be honest even as my pallet became more refined it still came down to....1. Amazing 2. Nice 3. Ok. 4. WTF did I just light.

just to enjoy a daily smoke of something that didn’t taste like chicken foot and donkey ass was expensive. It was messy. Offensive to almost everyone and you had to carry a portable shower kit with you just to be able go back out into the public. However. It was relaxing.

After just giving up a bit over a year ago my wife said I didn’t seem to have “my time” or “a hobby” that I enjoyed and bought me a pipe starter kit with a couple of aromatics to get me going and it only took about an hour and I was hooked. The process, the taste, the expense and come to find out pipes do not smell like cigars! People don’t seem to run from me in public and I have even been asked by people what I was smoking because of the aroma. I never had that happen with any cigar.

Hobby wise it’s perfect. If you decide to collect pipes you can decide at what level. No one collects a 3$ cigar. The choice of tobacco and accessories are also just as varied. I use to receive cigars as gifts from my clients and business associates. In a few days they would be gone. The items I get now sit on my shelf and I use them regularly. I recently purchased a Falcon pipe so people can actually pick up items that do not have a record exec or Grammy winner budget.

I am sure I have missed the mark on a few things but these are my opinions as a new piper. Are we pipers? I don’t know what to call myself. Anyway, I am so glad I found this site.

btw. That cigar and scotch social group I was part of had quiet a few pipe smokers in it. Most just thought they were suppose to smoke cigars.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Thank you for the welcome. I’m 55 now and up until 5 years ago I had never smoked anything. I do mean anything anything. In my industry we are a scotch and cigar group so I decided to just pick up the hobby of cigars. My dr said no worries since I didn’t inhale.

I did enjoy the discussions and the buying of goodies and spending the $$$ was ok but to be honest even as my pallet became more refined it still came down to....1. Amazing 2. Nice 3. Ok. 4. WTF did I just light.

just to enjoy a daily smoke of something that didn’t taste like chicken foot and donkey ass was expensive. It was messy. Offensive to almost everyone and you had to carry a portable shower kit with you just to be able go back out into the public. However. It was relaxing.

After just giving up a bit over a year ago my wife said I didn’t seem to have “my time” or “a hobby” that I enjoyed and bought me a pipe starter kit with a couple of aromatics to get me going and it only took about an hour and I was hooked. The process, the taste, the expense and come to find out pipes do not smell like cigars! People don’t seem to run from me in public and I have even been asked by people what I was smoking because of the aroma. I never had that happen with any cigar.

Hobby wise it’s perfect. If you decide to collect pipes you can decide at what level. No one collects a 3$ cigar. The choice of tobacco and accessories are also just as varied. I use to receive cigars as gifts from my clients and business associates. In a few days they would be gone. The items I get now sit on my shelf and I use them regularly. I recently purchased a Falcon pipe so people can actually pick up items that do not have a record exec or Grammy winner budget.

I am sure I have missed the mark on a few things but these are my opinions as a new piper. Are we pipers? I don’t know what to call myself. Anyway, I am so glad I found this site.

btw. That cigar and scotch social group I was part of had quiet a few pipe smokers in it. Most just thought they were suppose to smoke cigars.
Thank you. An excellent and thorough explanation! I can relate to most, if not all, of the reasons. I smoke both cigars and a pipe but smoke a pipe daily and the cigar hobby has dwindled, without effort, to just a few a year.

Reactions: kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.