PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MikeCifone

Lurker
Jul 14, 2022
Los Angeles
Welcome from a former Organic Chemistry professor in Central Texas.
Thanks @OldWill ! I avoided all of the sciences of biology and chemistry like the plague, although I did do quantum and relativity (also in grad school, and as part of my diss.), so go figure...

Beyond the hydrogen atom, things get pertty dicey ... but I had a bunch of friends in P-Chem and the physics banter was a lot of fun (their prof was a gem).

Reactions: OldWill

MikeCifone

Lurker
Jul 14, 2022
Los Angeles
Ciao Mike!
I love straight Virginia, VaPer, Burley. But I like to try a little bit of everything, the choice is so wide ... :)
Tell me about it! Just got a large shipment in from Smokingpipes.com, with Presbyterian Mixture ... and oh was that one absolutely delicious. I've also got waiting for me HH MB's Old Dark Fired, along with C&D's Haunted Bookshop (I had to get it since everyone seems to talk about it), and plenty more :)

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm feeling bitten out. Suggestions appreciated, as this has been somewhat constant for about the past week or so (and I'm a bit concerned -- is it my cadence? the tobacco rotation, or just the fact that I'm a smoking too much?).

First of all, welcome!

Secondly, you need to give your palate time to adjust to everything so you don't get burned out. You should enjoy every smoke, and if you don't, just ease up for a while. Its not a competition.

There's a lot to learn, that's for sure.

Reactions: MikeCifone

MikeCifone

Lurker
Jul 14, 2022
Los Angeles
Indeed, everyone is really helpful here and super enthusiastic. Really delightful.

I moved from NYC area to Los Angeles almost exactly one year ago (although I’m headed back to Philly Thursday for a couple weeks). I lived in the Bronx then escaped to Westchester Cty (New Rochelle). I really miss WC, and too bad I wasn’t into pipes back then: I had a great porch wrapping around a Victorian.

The City was hard for us just because of parking! A nightmare! So it detracted from the other joys of that place…(now I have a garage for my car—in Hollywood!).

So what are you smoking these days? What are the best shops in NYC?? I may be passing through on my way up to Albany—I can swing by a few stores to add to my debt burden, lol…

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from Florida. Lots of great info on this thread. One thing I never do is light my pipe without checking the draw first. What I look for in the pre draw is a bit of resistance. If a pipe is packed too loosely it will burn hot and fast and lose flavor. If it is too wet then you get a bowl that is a bitch to smoke and won't produce a good smoke.

The pack is one of the most important things you can do. When my pipe goes out about half way through, I gently stir the ash with the end of my tamper and then tilt the pipe slowly so the ash is in the ashtray. I then will scrape the sides of my bowl and gently tamp it down. I again check the draw and go from there. I never light my pipe without checking the draw no matter how many times it goes out.

I would go out as soon as you can and get a bottle of Biotene mouth wash. It is a must for new smokers and for guys who smoke lots of pipes per day.

MikeCifone

Lurker
Jul 14, 2022
Los Angeles
Thanks man, very sound advice. Indeed the packing is key. But one question I had was about that ash component of the deal: do you dump the top layer out, and then tamp, or leave it alone and tamp that down? I've tend to do the latter, and it seems to be good. When I try dumping out and then tamping, it seems to mess up the consistency of the light and the flavor (but maybe I'm not being accurate)...

I'm gonna get me some Biotene!

MikeCifone

Lurker
Jul 14, 2022
Los Angeles
I like your Latin quote, which I couldn't (being honest) translate without some help (though I studied some Church Latin as a kid) ... what's the source?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Welcome from Florida. Lots of great info on this thread. One thing I never do is light my pipe without checking the draw first. What I look for in the pre draw is a bit of resistance. If a pipe is packed too loosely it will burn hot and fast and lose flavor. If it is too wet then you get a bowl that is a bitch to smoke and won't produce a good smoke.

The pack is one of the most important things you can do. When my pipe goes out about half way through, I gently stir the ash with the end of my tamper and then tilt the pipe slowly so the ash is in the ashtray. I then will scrape the sides of my bowl and gently tamp it down. I again check the draw and go from there. I never light my pipe without checking the draw no matter how many times it goes out.

I would go out as soon as you can and get a bottle of Biotene mouth wash. It is a must for new smokers and for guys who smoke lots of pipes per day.
check the draw so important i don't think about it kind of like taking it out of your pants before peeing. Doesn:t 83el like you should have to tell anyone that step

Jul 1, 2022
Welcome aboard, from the Great Lakes State... and like already suggested, sip the pipe and you can avoid tongue bite.
I'm not a fan of cold weather, but now you have me thinking about having a smoke in front of a fire (obviously with a glass of Scotch).

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Howdy and welcome from Korea.
Great introduction and all I can say is....6 or 7 bowls a day.....wow! I wish I could find the time. Also appreciate you adding links to the tobaccos you listed in your posts, neat!
My go to is a VaPer, but also appreciate a pure red virginia too. I really should go back and try the English blends again, which I started smoking, but just can't get back into them.
I'm fairly new to pipe smoking, +/- 4 years.
I think that Sablebrush has highlighted remedies to some of the issues that your experiancing, as most of tje old hands will. This really is the place to learn and enjoy the hobby.
happy smoking!
puffy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks man, very sound advice. Indeed the packing is key. But one question I had was about that ash component of the deal: do you dump the top layer out, and then tamp, or leave it alone and tamp that down? I've tend to do the latter, and it seems to be good. When I try dumping out and then tamping, it seems to mess up the consistency of the light and the flavor (but maybe I'm not being accurate)...

I'm gonna get me some Biotene!
I don't dump until I get maybe halfway down or if I try relighting and can't get a good light I will check the ash as that is the only thing that makes lighting hard for me. . If my pipe goes out before halfway, I will check to see if there is enough ash to dump or do I just need a light tamp and then relight. I hope I am making sense here.

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
Welcome from Edinburgh Scotland.
P.s I personally find much less tongue bite with somewhat dried out English blend flake tobaccos . <insert name of any Samuel Gawith or Gawith and Hogarth blend here >