PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Welcome from Chicago's North Side!
You can learn alot and just hang with fellow pipesters at the Chicago Pipe Collectors Club monthly meetings, usually at Arlington Pipe and Cigar Lounge in Arlington Heights.

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
Just started my pipe smoking journey. Long time cigar smoker and dipping my toe into the pipe smoking world. Looking to get some knowledge and learn.

Any pointers or advice is appreciated.
Welcome, from Rhode Island.

I might suggest, as others have, that you try some light English blends, first. Save the aromatics for later.

Reactions: Cigarguy55

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Any recommendations?
Oh man you're asking the wrong guy because my band is pretty narrow and I just ventured into Virginias. Here's a list of the top bulks that SP sells:

And here's what I like:

Lane HGL: TR calls it an American but I'd say it's more of an aromatic english
MB 7 Seas Regular: Aro
Newminster 400: VA flake
PS English Luxury: English
Sutliff Match 20: Scottish

What I think others would recommend in other categories:

Ennerdale Flake: Lakeland (I don't really like lakelands but this was fine after I let the floral smell dissipate)
C&D Pegasus, Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz: Burley (I've tried the first two and did not like them. I've tried other burleys and didn't like them either.)

Reactions: Cigarguy55

Cigarguy55

Lurker
Jul 26, 2024
Illinois
Oh man you're asking the wrong guy because my band is pretty narrow and I just ventured into Virginias. Here's a list of the top bulks that SP sells:

And here's what I like:

Lane HGL: TR calls it an American but I'd say it's more of an aromatic english
MB 7 Seas Regular: Aro
Newminster 400: VA flake
PS English Luxury: English
Sutliff Match 20: Scottish

What I think others would recommend in other categories:

Ennerdale Flake: Lakeland (I don't really like lakelands but this was fine after I let the floral smell dissipate)
C&D Pegasus, Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz: Burley (I've tried the first two and did not like them. I've tried other burleys and didn't like them either.)
Thanks

Reactions: AroEnglish

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
Welcome from the Pacific NW! I, too, have a cigar background and always find burley blends and dark fired kentucky offerings especially satisfying. Lots of good ones out there. If you try flakes, just rub them all the way out to start. Some great burley flakes out there from MacBaren, Wessex and C & D. Also Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop and Boswell's Premium Burley. Might want to try Old Dark Fired as well. Too many to list, but it's a start! Enjoy the ride... :)

Reactions: kcghost