PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtvernon

Lurker
Sep 4, 2020
Placer County, California
I write this from California, where today the fires are sadly not confined to a briar, meerschaum, or clay bowl. I grew up in Northwestern Washington, moved to California in 1994, and have been plotting my exit for the last 15 years. It's been spectacularly unsuccessful.

My first Pipe was a Peterson 313 (I think) I purchased at Durty Nelly's in Bunratty, Co. Clare , Ireland with my uncle in 1988. I had grown up watching (and waiting) as he, my other uncle, and grandfather all took the pleasure of the pipe. All of them smoked Captain Black White/Original with its intoxicating room note that sends me back in time to this day if I smell it. In time, I realized that although I loved the smell, I didn't particularly enjoy smoking it or other aromatics. These days I'm very partial to Virginias (on a full stomach), Virginia-Periques, English, and Balkan blends. One happy coincidence from working at home has been the privilege to smoke nearly every morning while I read. My collection has been somewhat carefully and slowly built to over thirty pipes. At the moment, I'm feeling slightly like an adulterer since I bought my first really nice meerschaum. It has been my daily smoke almost every day since I got it and I show no signs of stopping.

Happy to be here!

Joe

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My sympathy goes out to you. It's like going out for a white table cloth restaurant meal with your honey and having the table next-door all light up Marlboro's. You pop an tin of fine premium tobacco, and here comes the smoke clouds of square miles of California forest and brush land darkening the sky. What's to taste? I have an uncommunicative cousin in Woodside a little south of SFran, and I keep thinking of him and his wife. I think he'd resent being contacted ... just him. But I hope for the best for them.

Reactions: BROBS and mtvernon

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
mtvernon, I too left Washington (Spokane) in 2000 for California (Sacramento) and I've also been plotting my escape for years. Sadly, I think I'm more like 10 years away from making it a reality just because of my job and not wanting to disrupt my school-aged daughter's life.

Welcome to the forum!

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Born and raised in California, currently located in Los Angeles. I have a love-hate relationship with it, as many of us do. It’s been getting worse, but it’s my home, and despite its failings it’s still in the greatest country on earth. Welcome aboard.

Reactions: pipebaum81

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
Welcome welcome. Spent my first 20 years in CA (southern) and December 2021 will be as many years since my exit. Hope the fires cease and you wind up where’s best for you and yours.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I write this from California, where today the fires are sadly not confined to a briar, meerschaum, or clay bowl. I grew up in Northwestern Washington, moved to California in 1994, and have been plotting my exit for the last 15 years. It's been spectacularly unsuccessful.

My first Pipe was a Peterson 313 (I think) I purchased at Durty Nelly's in Bunratty, Co. Clare , Ireland with my uncle in 1988. I had grown up watching (and waiting) as he, my other uncle, and grandfather all took the pleasure of the pipe. All of them smoked Captain Black White/Original with its intoxicating room note that sends me back in time to this day if I smell it. In time, I realized that although I loved the smell, I didn't particularly enjoy smoking it or other aromatics. These days I'm very partial to Virginias (on a full stomach), Virginia-Periques, English, and Balkan blends. One happy coincidence from working at home has been the privilege to smoke nearly every morning while I read. My collection has been somewhat carefully and slowly built to over thirty pipes. At the moment, I'm feeling slightly like an adulterer since I bought my first really nice meerschaum. It has been my daily smoke almost every day since I got it and I show no signs of stopping.

Happy to be here!

Joe
I love California—Born and bred here. But I have to admit, more and more, it feels like a failed state that is past any chance of redemption.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I woke up to a haze of smoke in Victoria, Canada. Supposedly it's coming from Washington. I walked down to the beach and couldn't see the mountains it was so thick.

Seems like everything is cooking now!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I'm feeling slightly like an adulterer since I bought my first really nice meerschaum. It has been my daily smoke almost every day since I got it and I show no signs of stopping.
You are on the right track with a Meer... puffy

Reactions: mtvernon
Status
Not open for further replies.