PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Paterfumeus

Lurker
Sep 9, 2023
Hello and welcome from West Virginia. You went on pilgrimage to steal public property. I need to hear this story. Welcome aboard. There is a wealth of information that can be gotten from these fine guys and gals.
Well, I didn't go on pilgrimage to steal public property, I went on pilgrimage and stole public property. There's a bit of a difference there. I'm afraid there isn't much of a story to tell. There's a cobblestone road right outside of one of the pilgrimage churches. The road was falling apart; it had practically washed out into the storm drain. I'm not normally much of a souvenir person, but seeing this road gave me an idea. I just bent down when we were walking along one evening and picked up a cobblestone. That's it. That's all there is to it. (To be clear, this was from a modern road. I did not steal any antiquities on this trip.)

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Welcome from northern Illinois.
Recently while camping near the Quad Cities I visited the Iowa 80 "World's Largest Truck Stop" in Walcott, Iowa. The WLTS, not too impressive, but the truck museum next door was a treat.
It’s terrific - used to be a family stop on our way to visit relatives across the river. Favorite memory was going with my grandpa to pick up his repaired golf cart in Muscatine. Even though it was out of the way on the way back to his farm he had to go for his favorite - the hot beef - bread, roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy. He said I could order anything I wanted, so …… cheeseburger, chocolate milkshake, fries and …. a side of mashed potatoes and gravy! He later teased me at dinner to my grandma, it wasn’t my 14 year old appetite that tickled him, but the fact I needed two kinds of potatoes! That place has a connection to my hometown I only discovered a couple of years ago - HUGE Hawkeye football supporters!

Reactions: scloyd

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Well, I didn't go on pilgrimage to steal public property, I went on pilgrimage and stole public property. There's a bit of a difference there. I'm afraid there isn't much of a story to tell. There's a cobblestone road right outside of one of the pilgrimage churches. The road was falling apart; it had practically washed out into the storm drain. I'm not normally much of a souvenir person, but seeing this road gave me an idea. I just bent down when we were walking along one evening and picked up a cobblestone. That's it. That's all there is to it. (To be clear, this was from a modern road. I did not steal any antiquities on this trip.)
Thank Goodness!! It would have been a shame to have a kleptomaniac on the pipe forum. You are forgiven and I'm sure they won't track you down and rough you up to get their cobblestone back. All in good fun, I hope you enjoy the forum.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
It’s terrific - used to be a family stop on our way to visit relatives across the river. Favorite memory was going with my grandpa to pick up his repaired golf cart in Muscatine. Even though it was out of the way on the way back to his farm he had to go for his favorite - the hot beef - bread, roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy. He said I could order anything I wanted, so …… cheeseburger, chocolate milkshake, fries and …. a side of mashed potatoes and gravy! He later teased me at dinner to my grandma, it wasn’t my 14 year old appetite that tickled him, but the fact I needed two kinds of potatoes! That place has a connection to my hometown I only discovered a couple of years ago - HUGE Hawkeye football supporters!
We camp just 15 miles down the road from Muscatine...Loud Thunder Forest Preserve near Illinois City. Been there three times this summer and going once more early October.

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
Welcome from Denver! As to your question, as a general statement I'd say that you should pack your tobacco firmly, but still retain an easy draw. I've also found that different cuts of tobacco (e.g., flake v. ribbon) require differing approaches to packing in order to stay lit. Do some experimentation and I'm sure that you will find an approach that works for you.

Frog Snacks

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2023
Welcome from northern Ontario Canada, I'm a reformed thief myself, started with toys as a child and ended in wives and girlfriends as a man, I'm a reformed many things actually, you name it I've probably been it at some point. I can honestly say pipe smoking is a huge factor in keeping myself a better man. One thing I hope I'll never be is a reformed pipe smoker. I'm new here too still, and I like it a lot. Welcome to the club.
Cheers
Frog.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

Kirklands

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2023
  • Pipes: a Peterson straight-bit made of cherry and a Mo Meerschaum with a bent bit.
  • Tobacco: Peterson Sweet Killarney--although I'm looking for suggestions for the next tin
  • And a Czech tool and a zippo pipe lighter to round it all off.
Sounds like a great start! Welcome from Kansas City.