PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

moscca

Lurker
May 26, 2013
Been reading here for a week now and joining.

I'm born in Belgium but live for 12 years now in a beautifull coastal town in Honduras.

For many years a cigar smoker and I am blessed here with the local cigars.

Lasr week bought my first pipe (Spitfire from Lorenzo) and some tabacco (mellow mixture from W O Larsen)on my way back from Buenos Aires.

Have a Siracuse pipe from Rossi and Dunhill Delux navy rolls tabacco on his way.

For the moment i'm having the usual filling-smoking problems as others beginners but it is already getting better.

It is very humid here and that was one of the problems. now i put my tabacco in a cup in the sun for drying.

Thank you for having me here !
M.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. You are lucky to be a a very cigar rich place. I hope you enjoy your time here. Ther is a lot of knowledge and a lot of fun. Post often on your pipe adventures.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Welcome, Moscca.
I've spent a lot of time in Honduras, primarily in the SPS area and in the mountains thereby, especially a little ville called Pinalejo.
Beautiful country, wonderful people. Bienvenido catracho!

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Welcome to the forums Moscca! You're now the second Belgian I know about here (Belgian Mick is the other).

moscca

Lurker
May 26, 2013
Thanks for the nice words gents !

Smoked my best one today :D

One question :Is there a place on line were you can order tabacco and pay by Paypal ?

Thanks,
M.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Hi moscca, welcome to the forum. I believe 4noggins.com uses paypal and they also ship internationally and is very good at it. The owner Rich is a great guy and very helpful.

papa

Lurker
Apr 24, 2013
Dallas Tx.
Welcome Moscca. Have been on this site for over a year myself, but only signed up in April. Alot of great info. and folks.

moscca

Lurker
May 26, 2013
I have a few questions on my new passion :
My bowl size interior is 35x18 mm, what size of bowl is this ?

My pips is gurgling, is that to the high moister here ?

How many smokes between a clean with a pipe cleaner ?

On the side of my pipe is marked "FILTRO", but no filtro inside. Do you buy them seperate amd can you smoke it

without ?

Thanks for your answers !
M.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Moscca:
The bowl dimension refer to the depth (usually the larger number) and diameter (usually the smaller number) of the interior of the chamber. Some folks refer to bowls as being Group 4 or Group 6 etc. These refer to bowl sizes denominated by the Dunhill company. The bigger the number, the larger the pipe.
Higher humidity can have some effect, but gurgling almost always comes from moisture condensing out of the tobacco as it is heated/vaporized, then that smoke cools and can no longer hold the same amount of moisture. (Boyle's Law, I think.) You can almost always solve or improve this problem by SLOWING DOWN. The key is to "sip," rather than to "puff." Some tobaccos may benefit from being allowed to dry a bit before being smoked, but really I find smoking technique is the most important factor.
ETA: SOMETIMES you will get a badly engineered pipe that tends to gurgle no matter what. A less than perfect transition from the hole in the shank to the hole in the stem can create turbulence that really contributes to the moisture dropping out.

A pipe cleaner down the stem will take of the problem if you get gurgling anyway. Or, an old trick some of us use, is to cover the bowl with the top of your hand, with the stem pointing the same direction as your thumb, while you SNAP your wrist toward your thumb, driving the moisture out of the end of the pipe. This works very well, once you get your palm used to covering the warm bowl.
Filter pipes can be smoked without filters and, for me at least, always are. i think this improves the draw and the taste.
As for cleaning frequency, I run a pipe cleaner through the stem and shank after each smoke, while the pipe is still warmish. You should clean as often as is necessary to maintain the smoking quality you want. I deep clean (I use vodka, a shank brush, cleaners) a few times a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.