PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofTrebizond

Lurker
Oct 19, 2021
Welcome from Pennsylvania and New York. I've lost touch with several friends who were in a Chicago theatre group called the Neo-Futurists. It's been many years since I visited.
Thank you. Wow! One of my best college friends, Dave Awl, was a Neo-Futurist. I've seen the show many many times, and am in touch with several cast members on FB. Small world!

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

ofTrebizond

Lurker
Oct 19, 2021
I'm still an Iwan Ries customer. I recently bought a cigar sampler from them. Years ago, I bought three of their house pipes when they were sourced from Edwards/Benton, in nice oil cured Algerian briar, all still going strong.
Iwan Ries is like the pipe and cigar smoker's mecca isn't it? I need to get to the shop there sometime soon. I love oil-cured finishes, and how they age. Sounds great!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Wow, I remember Dave! I met Greg Allen on St. Marks Place in New York back in '89 or '90. We were strangers waiting to see something upstairs and chatted a little. I think I ran into him the next day on the D train at DeKalb Avenue. We were so surprised, we figured it must be fate to have met again so randomly and became friends.

• Love
Reactions: ofTrebizond

ofTrebizond

Lurker
Oct 19, 2021
Love Dave! He wrote a book for Peachpit Press, "Facebook Me!" and there are funny pictures of the two of us from college and beyond. He's also published a book of poetry, "What the Sea Means", and some of his poems are published in a literary journal this month: Dave Awl: New Poems | Escape Into Life - https://bit.ly/3pByBX7

I never saw the show in NYC, only the Chicago productions. Did you see the NY Neos perform? Greg Kotis, Ayun Halliday, et all? They were founding members of the Neos from Chicago and moved to NYC as a part of the first cast.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from Florida. I remember the .alt.pipe usernet. Those clowns at reditt are using the same software as back then. My favorite thing was getting Bob Hamlin all worked up about the grey market Castello's, Agide was beating his prices by 30% and more. I cannot believe it has been over 20 years ago.

ofTrebizond

Lurker
Oct 19, 2021
Welcome from Florida. I remember the .alt.pipe usernet. Those clowns at reditt are using the same software as back then. My favorite thing was getting Bob Hamlin all worked up about the grey market Castello's, Agide was beating his prices by 30% and more. I cannot believe it has been over 20 years ago.
Thank you!! I learned so much from alt.smoking.pipes (ASP) and Hacker's books. I read his and my other pipe books library this fall. I had no idea that Redditt has the old Usenet code under the hood. Makes sense. I wish I remembered more from those old threads. Is it possible to find that content again?

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Love Dave! He wrote a book for Peachpit Press, "Facebook Me!" and there are funny pictures of the two of us from college and beyond. He's also published a book of poetry, "What the Sea Means", and some of his poems are published in a literary journal this month: Dave Awl: New Poems | Escape Into Life - https://bit.ly/3pByBX7

I never saw the show in NYC, only the Chicago productions. Did you see the NY Neos perform? Greg Kotis, Ayun Halliday, et all? They were founding members of the Neos from Chicago and moved to NYC as a part of the first cast.
I'll check that out.

Yes, I saw Greg and Ayun in the New York branch. The last time I saw Ayun was several years ago at a Book Expo at the Javits Center when she had a book coming out. I can't believe how successful Greg was with Urine Town.

I Just pulled a few things out of a folder I thought you might get a kick out of:

IMG_20220120_231153.jpg

IMG_20220120_231216.jpg

IMG_20220120_231229.jpg

Note from Ayun on the address side of the postcard above:

IMG_20220120_232013.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220120_231153.jpg
    IMG_20220120_231153.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220120_231229.jpg
    IMG_20220120_231229.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
  • Love

ofTrebizond

Lurker
Oct 19, 2021
I'll check that out.

Yes, I saw Greg and Ayun in the New York branch. The last time I saw Ayun was several years ago at a Book Expo at the Javits Center when she had a book coming out. I can't believe how successful Greg was with Urine Town.

I Just pulled a few things out of a folder I thought you might get a kick out of:

View attachment 123130

View attachment 123131

View attachment 123134

Note from Ayun on the address side of the postcard above:

View attachment 123137
These bring back so many memories of the early nineties for me. The show was (and is) amazing! Thank you for posting these! Have you ever jumped out of your chair watching the Tony's the way we did when Greg won for Urinetown???

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
What a small world, isn't it? I was a lurker in this forum and only joined about a month ago. Pipes have brought us "together"! Hopefully, we'll meet some day.

I didn't see the Tony broadcast, but I was thrilled for Greg's success. There were ads on cabs all over the city. It was surreal to see at the time.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I never befriended any of the players, but I also remember going to TMLMTBGB midnight shows in the early-mid 90's.

There is a social smoke tomorrow afternoon at Arlington Pipe and Cigar, if you're free. If you ever want to reminisce with a pipe about the various alt scenes of 90's Chicago, I am a PM with a couple of days notice away from being able to meet you at Arlington or Iwan after work nearly any day of the week.

ofTrebizond

Lurker
Oct 19, 2021
I never befriended any of the players, but I also remember going to TMLMTBGB midnight shows in the early-mid 90's.

There is a social smoke tomorrow afternoon at Arlington Pipe and Cigar, if you're free. If you ever want to reminisce with a pipe about the various alt scenes of 90's Chicago, I am a PM with a couple of days notice away from being able to meet you at Arlington or Iwan after work nearly any day of the week.
Thank you for the very kind offer!

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
Hello all,

I'm a 25-year pipe smoker but had a lapse in my enjoyment of our hobby for many years. I started up again this year and quickly remembered how much I enjoy a good smoke and collecting pipes. I was a member of the earliest form of forums when the Internet was on Usenet: alt.smokers.pipes (I think this was the name). This was before AOL, browsers, or other graphical environments. I found it fascinating that we were scattered from all over the world sharing stories and tips to help each other, and now here I am again! Thank you to the admins for their time and dedication in creating this welcoming space.
Welcome from Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.