PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Hello & welcome from Hereford 👍
3P’s is pretty good, if that does it for you, then I’d recommend you stick with it. You’ll turn it up a notch if you smoke it in a falcon, clay or meerschaum. As regards to ‘broadening your pallet’ the world is your oyster, as they say.
Smoke King used to sell 5g sample packs, if they still do, you should try the following;
GH’s Brown Flake Unscented
GH’s Rich Dark Honeydew (springdew)
St. Bruno (both flake & ready rubbed)
Gawith’s RB Plug
Gawith’s Full Virginia Plug
Gawith’s St. James’s Flake & Plug
Revor Plug
GH’s Westmoreland Slices
GH’s Dark Flake & Plug
GH’s Grasmere Flake
Germain’s Rich Dark Flake
That should keep you busy, for the time being anyway.
@simong These sound like good tobacco recommendations for the Clay King! I'll have to try the 3P in a clay pipe. Ordered a tin of Sillem's Musketeer from Smokingpipes; not received it yet. I need to let @Birddog66 know when I get it as some of the Smokingpipes orders have gone missing!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
New member, lurked on and off for ages thought I'd better join! Hello, I'm Jim I've been smoking pipes for about a year or so, much prefer it to cigs and I can now breathe again without sounding like mutly from catch the pigeon. I'm generally broke so nothing amazing in the rotation but I do like my couple of little nording pokers. Have found macbaren tobacco doesn't seem to agree with me, I've stuck to petersons 3p and Solani 633 as that seems to work. Not a fan of white and black so I think latakia is out, although I like the aroma! Any suggestions to broaden my palet welcomed.
I quit smoking cigs about 20 years ago. I still remember the first time I had to run after a bus, the sheer shock of being out of breath but not feeling like I was inhaling fire blew my mind.
Macbarren is my second most smoked blender. C&D is my first. Sutlif is third mainly because of EGR and Mixture 79. But yeah Mac Barren is nicknamed Mac Bitten for a reason, it doesn't agree with everyone.

JC4life

Lurker
Aug 5, 2023
Essex
I quit smoking cigs about 20 years ago. I still remember the first time I had to run after a bus, the sheer shock of being out of breath but not feeling like I was inhaling fire blew my mind.
Macbarren is my second most smoked blender. C&D is my first. Sutlif is third mainly because of EGR and Mixture 79. But yeah Mac Barren is nicknamed Mac Bitten for a reason, it doesn't agree with everyone.
Yes, odd isnt it . I got the freebie gold block from the local newsie and I'm out of anything els its been keeping me going along with some apricot snuff but my mouth is a right state. Shows what a powerful addiction nic is though, imnoff to smoke a bowl now as the postman is late !

JC4life

Lurker
Aug 5, 2023
Essex
Postman came, put everything away in tins using stickyback to transfer all the lables. I must say they all smell amazing. I never get tired of the smell of tobacco, even the blends that I'm not fond of smoking. Thanks again simong for the first list that I've had a go at getting. Had a lovely bowl of rich dark spring dew with an apple earlier and it was marvelous. A bit later on I had ennrerdale flake with a cup of coffee and that was fantastic. The last few puffs were ruined though unfortunately after I decided to chase a mouse and kicked what was left of the coffee all over the floor of my smoking den. So to console myself I had a bowl of the Solani aged burley which is one I had been wanting to try for a while and that helped me forget about the coffee stain all over the carpet tiles. Now where's that air pistol gone .......... REVENGE!!!!

JC4life

Lurker
Aug 5, 2023
Essex
Welcome from the Pacific NW! Do you know about the Tobacco Reviews site?
Tobacco Reviews | Browse and Review your Favorite Pipe Tobacco Products

Everyone has different tastes, but if you find a reviewer who agrees with you on what you've tried, that can help you find new blends.
Thankyou Romano I'll check it out. Just about to spend a little on my first meerschaum. Would have liked a nice carved number but I can't stretch the budget. Going for a falcon with a meer bowl as suggested by jaingorenard.

JC4life

Lurker
Aug 5, 2023
Essex
Welcome from NYC. Big fan of Solani 633 too. You might like Solani 660. It has a bit of dark fired Virginia in it instead of perique.
Think I'll definatly give that a go, thanks. I'm enjoying the aged burley right now and it is going down really well in my new meerschaum with a falcon stem

Reactions: dunnyboy