PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

crossroads

Lurker
Jan 6, 2018
South of England
Hello From England

I’ve read this forum for a few years with great interest.

I’ve smoked a pipe on and off for forty seven years. I live in the rural South of England, but when I was a young man I lived in Soho London where my local tobacconist was Freibourg & Treyer, established in 1720 at The Haymarket near Piccadilly Circus. The shop smelled of snuff and fine tobacco, wooden creaky floorboards and the front stone step was worn in the middle by the foot fall of three centuries of happy customers .Nearby was a rail to tie your horse and a stone step to assist in mounting your ride.

For most of my life I’ve lived in rural England and in the seventies my job entailed patrolling the countryside at night , I enjoyed many short summer nights where the countryside came alive with wildlife and I had my pipe and always a pocket radio playing quietly for company. The joy of solitude and a good bowl of tobacco and the feeling of freedom driving down empty lanes and quiet country estates .Well now I have a pipe in my garden, or out in the countryside I do some bird watching.

I have a couple of Petersons, I smoke Irish Flake, Royal Yacht and Petersons Flake. I’ve always been into playing music, folk in the sixties, rock and blues band back in the day, but now I play in an acoustic group. The people are nice, like pipe smokers, not too many aggressive ukulele players around!

Peaceful piping to you all.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Howdy from Idaho, USA. Welcome to the forum!
The description of your evening job in the countryside has really peaked my interest. My imagination has run down many different options of what might entail such a job?
My best guess is either a night shift police patrol or a possibly a security guard or game warden for a large private estate?
I very much enjoyed your introduction especially the part about the tobacco store. Made me wish I could’ve ventured there and it’s day.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Hello From England

I’ve read this forum for a few years with great interest.

I’ve smoked a pipe on and off for forty seven years. I live in the rural South of England, but when I was a young man I lived in Soho London where my local tobacconist was Freibourg & Treyer, established in 1720 at The Haymarket near Piccadilly Circus. The shop smelled of snuff and fine tobacco, wooden creaky floorboards and the front stone step was worn in the middle by the foot fall of three centuries of happy customers .Nearby was a rail to tie your horse and a stone step to assist in mounting your ride.

For most of my life I’ve lived in rural England and in the seventies my job entailed patrolling the countryside at night , I enjoyed many short summer nights where the countryside came alive with wildlife and I had my pipe and always a pocket radio playing quietly for company. The joy of solitude and a good bowl of tobacco and the feeling of freedom driving down empty lanes and quiet country estates .Well now I have a pipe in my garden, or out in the countryside I do some bird watching.

I have a couple of Petersons, I smoke Irish Flake, Royal Yacht and Petersons Flake. I’ve always been into playing music, folk in the sixties, rock and blues band back in the day, but now I play in an acoustic group. The people are nice, like pipe smokers, not too many aggressive ukulele players around!

Peaceful piping to you all.
Sounds like you might be channeling Jack Hargreaves!! Welcome.