PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

joburgb

Lurker
Sep 23, 2015
Hello Bob the bear. RE: your SA origins. Back in the 90s in South Africa, I remember a few tobaccos: Assegai (but not the current Cloudy version) had a lot of kick, came in a large brown/black tin with a plastic lid, like a coffee can. Probably got it from Wesley’s in Rosebank (JHB). Once, down on the Natal south coast, found some Springbok Egte Magaliesbergse Tabak, came in a wee cloth sack with a drawstring. Very dry and shag cut, probably better for ciggies. Then there was Rooi Perd: in a small flat-round plastic container, very strong hardcore rope chewing tobacco, but one could rub out a few slices, let it dry and stuff into the pipe. Not for the faint-hearted, far too rough for me. Discovered it in the garden section of a hardware store. Gardeners would soak the whole tobacco rope in a watering can to produce a solution to sprinkle around the flower beds to keep away various goggas and the Parktown Prawns. Good Luck in Edinburgh!

Reactions: Bob the bear

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
Hello Bob the bear. RE: your SA origins. Back in the 90s in South Africa, I remember a few tobaccos: Assegai (but not the current Cloudy version) had a lot of kick, came in a large brown/black tin with a plastic lid, like a coffee can. Probably got it from Wesley’s in Rosebank (JHB). Once, down on the Natal south coast, found some Springbok Egte Magaliesbergse Tabak, came in a wee cloth sack with a drawstring. Very dry and shag cut, probably better for ciggies. Then there was Rooi Perd: in a small flat-round plastic container, very strong hardcore rope chewing tobacco, but one could rub out a few slices, let it dry and stuff into the pipe. Not for the faint-hearted, far too rough for me. Discovered it in the garden section of a hardware store. Gardeners would soak the whole tobacco rope in a watering can to produce a solution to sprinkle around the flower beds to keep away various goggas and the Parktown Prawns. Good Luck in Edinburgh!
Oh my word, I remember rooi perd ( red horse) , good memories ? , never had the urge to try boxer or BB tobacco though. It just seemed like poison, yet ironically Jock is fairly decent….for its price. For those who aren’t from South Africa for reference a 100gr bag of Jock is about 4 British pounds or 6 US dollars.

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
Hehe yep. I believe the phrase was. Like running into a brick wall. I'm paying the price for it now though. Knees are shot. ? Ah well. Was fun at the time

Status
Not open for further replies.