PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ghines04

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2023
Texas
That is great! Painting? Drawing? Sculpture?
Painting. For years I’ve created symbolic nature pieces, over the last few months I’ve spent my time making Catholic icons. I’ve got a website that has some of the older work (and really needs an update). Www.GarrettHines.com

funny story, one of the pieces has a bear in the background smoking a pipe, and I did that piece at least 2 years before taking up the pipe! 🤣

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
Painting. For years I’ve created symbolic nature pieces, over the last few months I’ve spent my time making Catholic icons. I’ve got a website that has some of the older work (and really needs an update). Www.GarrettHines.com

funny story, one of the pieces has a bear in the background smoking a pipe, and I did that piece at least 2 years before taking up the pipe! 🤣
Thank you for sharing your work with us. You have a nice talent in painting and in words.

And who knew that a pipe would be in your future when you did that painting! 🤣

Ghines04

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2023
Texas
Thank you for sharing your work with us. You have a nice talent in painting and in words.

And who knew that a pipe would be in your future when you did that painting! 🤣
I know right...too funny.

Also, sorry about posting my personal website, I missed that one in reading the forum rules.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Well, that’s a ways off.
I’m closer to Deerbrook.
Well, in the grand scheme of things you are pretty darn close, though, I don’t know where Deerbrook is. I could likely walk to the Lakeline mall in 15 to 20 min. By car it’s a couple of minutes drive.

Templekeeper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2023
Toronto
Good morning everyone, hope you're having a great Friday.

I've been smoking a pipe for 5-ish months, and have finally started to really enjoy it. My first pipe was an old Grabow that I found when my Grandad passed away. I wasn't confident about smoking it so I purchased a no-name basket briar from our local b&m cigar store. Their pipe supplies are ok, but not great. When I bought the pipe I grabbed a tin of Smooth Sailing, and it was AWEFUL!! Probably because I had no clue what to do, and the tongue bite was ferocious. That said, great men like Chesterton, Lewis, Tolkien (among many others) loved the pipe so I figured there must be something to it that must be worth figuring out. So, down the rabbit hole I went.

I chose pipe smoking because I recently turned 40, and realized I had never tried a premium cigar, and that seemed like a shame. The 90's did a great job of ingraining the imminent death that would ensue with tobacco, so I labeled it as evil. That, and my mom smoked cigarettes for my entire childhood, my grandparents smoked cigarettes their entire lives, and the smell of smoke would take me back to rooms filled with cigarette smoke and an inability to breathe. Regardless, I wanted to try; it felt like a right of passage I guess, a step from boyhood to manhood that I wanted to at least give a go.

I have three pipes that I love right now, an Ashton 3X Old Church bent bull dog, a Nording Erik the red bent apple, and the no name pipe mentioned above. I smoke the Grabow (straight billiard) but it's not my favorite. My go to tobacco is Old Toby and Rivendell by Country Squire, but I've been giving Quiet Nights and Mixture 965 a go as I like the idea of English blends. I also have GLP's Union Square cellaring at the moment.

Love checking out the forum and the thoughts shared about this pretty cool hobby!!
Welcome! I've been smoking pipes for less than 4 months and already have more than 10 pipes, including a Nording churchwarden that I really like! I've been meaning to try Old Toby and Rivendell but haven't gotten around to that yet. Hopefully I can order some soon (but do have a fair amount of other blends to get through first!)
traveling-america-greeting-card-toronto-canada-8061_30.jpg

Reactions: Ghines04

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada

I've been smoking a pipe for 5-ish months, and have finally started to really enjoy it. My first pipe was an old Grabow that I found when my Grandad passed away. I wasn't confident about smoking it so I purchased a no-name basket briar from our local b&m cigar store. Their pipe supplies are ok, but not great. When I bought the pipe I grabbed a tin of Smooth Sailing, and it was AWEFUL!! Probably because I had no clue what to do, and the tongue bite was ferocious. That said, great men like Chesterton, Lewis, Tolkien (among many others) loved the pipe so I figured there must be something to it that must be worth figuring out. So, down the rabbit hole I went.

I chose pipe smoking because I recently turned 40, and realized I had never tried a premium cigar, and that seemed like a shame. The 90's did a great job of ingraining the imminent death that would ensue with tobacco, so I labeled it as evil. That, and my mom smoked cigarettes for my entire childhood, my grandparents smoked cigarettes their entire lives, and the smell of smoke would take me back to rooms filled with cigarette smoke and an inability to breathe. Regardless, I wanted to try; it felt like a right of passage I guess, a step from boyhood to manhood that I wanted to at least give a go.

I have three pipes that I love right now, an Ashton 3X Old Church bent bull dog, a Nording Erik the red bent apple, and the no name pipe mentioned above. I smoke the Grabow (straight billiard) but it's not my favorite. My go to tobacco is Old Toby and Rivendell by Country Squire, but I've been giving Quiet Nights and Mixture 965 a go as I like the idea of English blends. I also have GLP's Union Square cellaring at the moment.

Love checking out the forum and the thoughts shared about this pretty cool hobby!!
Welcome. it’s funny how our memories from childhood impact our decisions and actions. My neighbour was an old retired fireman who always had a pipe in his mouth. We had a huge cedar hedgerow between our properties and the glorious smell of that pipe wafting into our yard is a fond childhood memory. I’ve smoked cigars for years, but it was that smell that inspired me to dust off and clean my Great Grandfather’s pipes. Down the rabbit hole I’ve gone. Welcome. You will find the people here to be a wealth of knowledge and all around decent human beings. Union Square is d’Bomb. Crack that and get another 5 8oz tins for cellaring. You won’t regret it.

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama

Welcome from Alabama