PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Interesting, wonder why that is.
I can't speak for Texas but PA while great in many ways also kind of sucks in a lot of little ways. So the great things like nature go well with some contemplative activity like pipe smoking and then the things that suck require something to take the edge off. Like the weather here is craptastic. Hot humid summers and cold brutal winters. That's my theory PA is great but also is kind of like having your boxers getting bunched up. Annoying but not enough to ruin your day.

Reactions: Ghines04
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
You know it's got you when you want a pipe because you normal don't like that shape but that one is great. For me it's that Kaywoodie bulldog.
I know how that is... I'll see a movie or show with someone smoking a pipe and end up wanting something identical and end up researching what pipe it was and checking to see if I can get a similar one.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Good morning everyone, hope you're having a great Friday.

I've been smoking a pipe for 5-ish months, and have finally started to really enjoy it. My first pipe was an old Grabow that I found when my Grandad passed away. I wasn't confident about smoking it so I purchased a no-name basket briar from our local b&m cigar store. Their pipe supplies are ok, but not great. When I bought the pipe I grabbed a tin of Smooth Sailing, and it was AWEFUL!! Probably because I had no clue what to do, and the tongue bite was ferocious. That said, great men like Chesterton, Lewis, Tolkien (among many others) loved the pipe so I figured there must be something to it that must be worth figuring out. So, down the rabbit hole I went.

I chose pipe smoking because I recently turned 40, and realized I had never tried a premium cigar, and that seemed like a shame. The 90's did a great job of ingraining the imminent death that would ensue with tobacco, so I labeled it as evil. That, and my mom smoked cigarettes for my entire childhood, my grandparents smoked cigarettes their entire lives, and the smell of smoke would take me back to rooms filled with cigarette smoke and an inability to breathe. Regardless, I wanted to try; it felt like a right of passage I guess, a step from boyhood to manhood that I wanted to at least give a go.

I have three pipes that I love right now, an Ashton 3X Old Church bent bull dog, a Nording Erik the red bent apple, and the no name pipe mentioned above. I smoke the Grabow (straight billiard) but it's not my favorite. My go to tobacco is Old Toby and Rivendell by Country Squire, but I've been giving Quiet Nights and Mixture 965 a go as I like the idea of English blends. I also have GLP's Union Square cellaring at the moment.

Love checking out the forum and the thoughts shared about this pretty cool hobby!!
Where are you at in Central Texas? We have an Austin Pipe CLub, Houston Pipe Club, DFW club, and a newly formed Waco club... San Antonio used to have an active club.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Show up at the Austin CLub meetings then!
Yeah, I’ve been meaning to go… for the past 14 years. I’ll get there one day. The main hold up now is, I have my young daughter in my custody for 5 days out of the week. She’s reaching the age where I can drop her off at a friends house while I go to the club meetings.

Reactions: pylorns