PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TravB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 6, 2022
Texas
I consider myself a newbie. I’m learning a lot from going through old posts.

My husband smoked a pipe when we first started dating (30 years ago) and I played with it a little back then. I am/was pretty bad at it—I quickly became frustrated with the nasty gurgle. He quit years ago when the dentist pointed out he was wearing down his teeth on one side.

California banned menthol cigarettes and I started eyeballing his old supplies gathering dust on a shelf. My old pipe (Savinelli 603) was still there, along with some ancient tobacco. It was unpleasant, but I did get my nicotine.

I started researching, cleaned my pipe properly, and bought some fresh tobacco. The first few weeks were a rough transition. I did a lot of reading (the information on this forum is outstanding). I’ve purchased enough pipes that I can rotate them, which keeps them dry, and acquired an assortment of flavored tobacco (aromatics?).

I’m three weeks into it now and getting the hang of it. Cigarette cravings are almost gone. I’m enjoying my pipes and loving chocolate flavored tobacco.

I joined because of the post casting aspersions on lurkers ;-)
Welcome from Texas!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I quit pipe smoking for years in solidarity with my late wife quitting a heavy cigarette habit on the third try with the help of an American Lung Assn class. My wife now had a Lucky Strike and Galatoir (sp?) habit so is tolerant of my pipes, and I am a moderate smoker, so it works out okay. Welcome aboard.

She went to a newsstand where she worked in Manhattan and asked for cigarettes and a racing form, the the guy at the counter called to his assistant, "Pack of Luckies and a bible."

St. David Pipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 19, 2023
Western Pennsylvania
youtube.com
I consider myself a newbie. I’m learning a lot from going through old posts.

My husband smoked a pipe when we first started dating (30 years ago) and I played with it a little back then. I am/was pretty bad at it—I quickly became frustrated with the nasty gurgle. He quit years ago when the dentist pointed out he was wearing down his teeth on one side.

California banned menthol cigarettes and I started eyeballing his old supplies gathering dust on a shelf. My old pipe (Savinelli 603) was still there, along with some ancient tobacco. It was unpleasant, but I did get my nicotine.

I started researching, cleaned my pipe properly, and bought some fresh tobacco. The first few weeks were a rough transition. I did a lot of reading (the information on this forum is outstanding). I’ve purchased enough pipes that I can rotate them, which keeps them dry, and acquired an assortment of flavored tobacco (aromatics?).

I’m three weeks into it now and getting the hang of it. Cigarette cravings are almost gone. I’m enjoying my pipes and loving chocolate flavored tobacco.

I joined because of the post casting aspersions on lurkers ;-)
You’ll love the pipe journey! Welcome

Reactions: charriga

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Welcome form Sydney, Oz.

Pleased you've decided to give pipe smoking another go.
I've posted elsewhere that I first started with a pipe when I was at university in the early '70s and gave it away when the kids arrived.

2nd time around is so much better thanks mainly to the pipe community here for their help and advice.
And what's out there on the net eg Tobacco Reviews, et al.

Reactions: charriga