PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

crappyplayer

Lurker
May 22, 2024
Santa Clarita, CA
Really new to pipe smoking. Started april 2024. smoked cigarettes for 10-ish years, then went to vaping. Still trying to find a blend i like. I've bought maybe 30 tins and many samplers and so far, nothing is catching my attention. ive tried aromatics, virginias, burleys, vaprs...though i am gonna finish every tin i have and hopefully have a better palate. crossing my fingers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe H

Lurker
May 22, 2024
Alaska
I'm new to the site too, but I've only bought two pipes in 30 years (but I did inherit 10 from my dad). I for one would be interested to hear about your experiences trying out new tobaccos. Since I grew up in a house filled with mostly cherry aromatic blends, that's what I started with and what I stayed with. I completely missed out on the whole "searching around and learning what works" process. I would be interested to hear about your experiences.

Reactions: crappyplayer

crappyplayer

Lurker
May 22, 2024
Santa Clarita, CA
I'm new to the site too, but I've only bought two pipes in 30 years (but I did inherit 10 from my dad). I for one would be interested to hear about your experiences trying out new tobaccos. Since I grew up in a house filled with mostly cherry aromatic blends, that's what I started with and what I stayed with. I completely missed out on the whole "searching around and learning what works" process. I would be interested to hear about your experiences.
i just started watching youtube videos on good beginner blends from 2 or 3 people. cant watch too many or you gonna have too many to buy/try when you start. honestly, to me...most of them taste of tobacco, with hints of what people say they taste like, but its also because my palete isnt that great yet. i also try to buy 2 tins of whatever im gonna try, one to open, and one to store away for a few years to see what it tastes like after some age. maybe buy 2 or 3 tins for now until you finish 2 tins. i may have bought too many too fast, so now, i have enough tobacco for a few months...my goal for now is to finish all the opened tobacco i have before i buy more...
main thing is...enjoy the process of discovering the tobaccos! good luck brother!

Reactions: Joe H

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Looks like you’re pretty much good to go… I’d look into blending tobaccos so you can develop your tastes. Don’t over do it like I did, take your time, it can take a few years to really start to get a handle on the nuances. Welcome from Virginia!

Reactions: crappyplayer