Hello From Brazil and Asking For Suggestions!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alottalatakia

Lurker
Jul 28, 2019
Hello friends! Some here may know me already.., I'm member of a few Facebook pipe smokers groups. I have been smoking pipes for over 30 years now and just recently discovered the whole world of online tobacciana! Beautiful! Since I learned to smoke pipes almost alone, there's some gaps to cover, specially when it comes to tobacco blends. And I'm definitely a tobacco guy over a pipe guy...There's a staggering array of mixtures for every taste...many just riffs on the same theme. I would love to try as many as I can, but it is not economically and logistically feasible when you live in Brazil. My question is- to not go around buying tins and tins of tobacco that will eventually not interest me ( although I have a very varied and curious palate) I wonder if could you guys suggest me blends, to buy in bulk, that can be everyday smokes or the base for a rotation? A tobacco that can be unobtrusive, mild to medium, good to rest the palate, uncomplicated, good value and easily procurable... Cheers!!

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title

Last edited by a moderator:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome. I'm not sure what would be "easily procurable" for you, but for a blend like that I would suggest perhaps Peter Stokkebye Natural Dutch Cavendish. It definitely hits the other four buttons in your criteria.
Some of the MacBaren blends might work, too - Golden Extra, Virginia Flake, Mixture (Scottish Blend). I'm sure others will have suggestions, some of which will have nothing to do with your criteria.

alottalatakia

Lurker
Jul 28, 2019
Thanks a million! Peter Stokkebye is definitely up there in my listings...But I only know the Luxury flakes- the Navy Flake and the Bullseye. Good tip about the Natural Dutch Cavendish. Golden extra is another interesting idea.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
Welcome! I'm not sure of blend availability in Brazil but either of the Capstan blends would serve well in the Virginia space. If Cornell & Diehl blends are available, then so many options present themselves across the flavor spectrum. Some personal favorites are Haunted Bookshop (Va, Bur, Per), Yale Mixture (Lat, Va), Blockade Runner (Va Navy Crumble Cake), and Crooner (Bur & Deertongue). From an aromatic perspective, Sutliff has too many blends to list but Maple Walnut is my go-to. Hope this helps.

Happy puffing!

alottalatakia

Lurker
Jul 28, 2019
Hi Elric. I may rely mostly on 4Noggins and Cup O'Joes. Eventually Tobaccopipes. I like your idea of a Burley blend....nowadays I have been veering towards Burley forward mixtures...I wonder about John Patton...and 4Noggins house blends...
Thanks!!!

Reactions: Elric

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Bulk options that cupojoes or 4nogs should have (or smokingpipes.com):

Virginia: Sutliff 515 or Virginia Slices, or MacBaren VA no. 1 (for dark stoved, Sutliff Dark Stoved VA)
Va/Per: Cornell and Diehl Bayou Morning or the Peter Stokkebye options
Va/Bur: Any C and D Va/Bur blend like Pegasus, Old Joe Krantz, or Haunted Bookshop
Burley: Peter Stokkebye toasted burley or C and D Cube Cut Burley
English/Balkan: Arango Balkan Supreme or PS English Luxury
Dark Fired: MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed
Aromatic: Anything Sutliff, but I like Creme Brulee and Black Cordial. Boswell's pipes also makes great Aromatics you can buy directly from their website, if they'll ship to Brazil.

If you want to blend any of the above on your own, I'd grab some blending Oriental from C and D, Sutliff, or Stokkebye, as well as some blending Perique and blending Latakia so you can use the above blends to create other things you might want to smoke.

Reactions: Elric

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
Hello! Did you have the opportunity to try any of the new wave of Brazillian pipe tobacco yet? I'm quite fond of Little Witch blends myself.

As for importing tobacco to the country I may need to ask some tips from you. Do you mind if I PM you with some questions?

alottalatakia

Lurker
Jul 28, 2019
I do
Balkan Supreme for a good English bulk that hits all the buttons for me. With your handle, you gotta love Latakia, no?
Ok, there are quite a number of Balkan Supreme: from Arango ( Tobaco pipes has it), Mc Cranie's and Peter Stokkebye..., are you referring to Peter Stokkebye, right? Well, I have quite a number of English Mixtures ( Alottalatakia indeed) and if I get new blends with latakia I would like them less latakia forward... More Burley Latakia, or Red Va /latakia perhaps. But I agree that, concerning PS blends, all the ones I tried are winners. Thank you for sharing!

alottalatakia

Lurker
Jul 28, 2019
Oh you are so right!!! LOL...But I like to see how things naturally
Bulk options that cupojoes or 4nogs should have (or smokingpipes.com):

Virginia: Sutliff 515 or Virginia Slices, or MacBaren VA no. 1 (for dark stoved, Sutliff Dark Stoved VA)
Va/Per: Cornell and Diehl Bayou Morning or the Peter Stokkebye options
Va/Bur: Any C and D Va/Bur blend like Pegasus, Old Joe Krantz, or Haunted Bookshop
Burley: Peter Stokkebye toasted burley or C and D Cube Cut Burley
English/Balkan: Arango Balkan Supreme or PS English Luxury
Dark Fired: MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed
Aromatic: Anything Sutliff, but I like Creme Brulee and Black Cordial. Boswell's pipes also makes great Aromatics you can buy directly from their website, if they'll ship to Brazil.

If you want to blend any of the above on your own, I'd grab some blending Oriental from C and D, Sutliff, or Stokkebye, as well as some blending Perique and blending Latakia so you can use the above blends to create other things you might want to smoke.

My friend! Thanks a lot! I tell you- I made a list, that is exactly the same you just sent! Only difference is that I excluded the Sutliff, and Boswells blends. Quite a coincidence!

alottalatakia

Lurker
Jul 28, 2019
Hello! Did you have the opportunity to try any of the new wave of Brazillian pipe tobacco yet? I'm quite fond of Little Witch blends myself.

As for importing tobacco to the country I may need to ask some tips from you. Do you mind if I PM you with some questions?
PM me anytime! And.. now you got me wrong footed...! I forgot Little Witch blends...Quite a blunder...

alottalatakia

Lurker
Jul 28, 2019
There are so many tobaccos to choose from, so many genres. Burley is a good start, or an English for flavor. But...
View attachment 5803
Oh Yes!!!! I know! That's why I'm trying to build a minimum basic selection which I can rely on a daily basis. Then I can make forays into different blenders and styles. I love my latakias, but now I prefer them to be more for real long pondering moments... For everyday smoke, quick smokes, working ( in my case drawing) I'm looking more for a simple companion.., nothing too loud or that demand attention. So.., next in line from my Latakias, there are the Burley blends... that I feel more and more attracted to. Thanks for the welcome!!

quick smokes
I have no idea what that is, ha ha. I never think of the pipe as quick... but many times, I get distracted by someone and will put a pipe down after half an hour, and then come back to it later. We call it DGT (delayed gratification technique). The best tobaccos for this are Virginia blends, as they get better with each time you let the pipe rest in the middle of smoking. But, Burleys let you do it also, just not with as much improvement with each DGT.

Reactions: alottalatakia

alottalatakia

Lurker
Jul 28, 2019
I have no idea what that is, ha ha. I never think of the pipe as quick... but many times, I get distracted by someone and will put a pipe down after half an hour, and then come back to it later. We call it DGT (delayed gratification technique). The best tobaccos for this are Virginia blends, as they get better with each time you let the pipe rest in the middle of smoking. But, Burleys let you do it also, just not with as much improvement with each DGT.
LOL. I meant- tobacco that does not need preparation, like plugs or flakes and that you can load a vest pipe...I have some small narrow chambered pipes and flakes would not do for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.