PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lefty W.

Lurker
Jan 8, 2020
Hello, all. I am an occasional pipe smoker, mostly during the cooler months. I got the itch decades ago, while in high school, smoking the obligatory drug store blends such as Borkum Riff. My first pipe was a smaller Peterson system pipe, and my second was a gourd and meershaum calabash. I used to longingly peruse the goods at the Dunhill store in the Galleria mall in Houston, which was near my grandmother's house.

I took up the hobby again in the mid-1990s, during the great cigar-and-martini-bar scare; I figured everyone else could concentrate on cigars.

My favorite blend of all time was the PCCA "Noel," which if I remember correctly was made by McClelland (RIP) for the Pipe Collectors Club of America. Long since out of production.

I returned to Austin from New Orleans this past Sunday, and while driving through St. James Parish, I felt the need to smoke something with a bit of Perique in it; someday I would love to tour the Perique factory(ies) there.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Very nice! I started cigars back in the mid 90’s cigar epidemic :) Switched to the pipe in late ‘07.

Great introduction and glad to have ya :)

Nicholas (diamondback) from Middle Tennessee.

Reactions: Lefty W.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Yes. Second Thursday of the month at Habana House and fourth Thursday at Pipe World on Anderson. (I think, ? )

James ( @pylorns ) is our club president. If you mail him 2 tins, he'll show you the secret handshake....

• Haha
Reactions: mau1 and Lefty W.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
Hola from Houston.
Pipe club is worth the drive. I live close to my club, but the roads are full of Friday evening traffic. But the conversation is good, so is the sharing and show and tell.

Lefty W.

Lurker
Jan 8, 2020
I was in Austin for 4 days smokin' a pipe about 3 weeks ago. Interesting town you have there...

I hope you had a good time.

We play a little game here in Austin; it's called "You should have seen it (x) [years] [days] [hours] ago..."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the martini and cigar bar scare. Welcome from central North Carolina. A bit of history, LBJ won his first election mocking his opponent's smoking a pipe, borrowing a pipe from someone at a rally and imitating his opponent puffing away, as if derelict in his office. Glad to hear Lyndon didn't kill the briar forever in Texas.

Lefty W.

Lurker
Jan 8, 2020
A bit of history, LBJ won his first election mocking his opponent's smoking a pipe, borrowing a pipe from someone at a rally and imitating his opponent puffing away, as if derelict in his office. Glad to hear Lyndon didn't kill the briar forever in Texas.

I have not heard that before; good to know. I'll need to look that up at the LBJ library here in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.