PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
My family came from cheaha they homesteaded there The land I've been on many times and know where the chimney is to the old house. That forest is a very special place to me My Kin are buried there

Reactions: Lost Somnambulist

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
I too, very quickly got into restoring estate pipes. Seemed the best way to acquire a collection at a reasonable price. Welcome to the community.
Thanks, I've been taking it slow and easy, getting to know the materials. If you have any wisdom to share with someone just getting into restoring pipes, I all ears. Or eyes as the case maybe here. Realizing pretty quickly there are some nice pipes for good prices out there if you're willing to devote a little time to bringing them to life.

Reactions: kcghost

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
My family came from cheaha they homesteaded there The land I've been on many times and know where the chimney is to the old house. That forest is a very special place to me My Kin are buried there
Nice! Cheaha and Talladega wilderness areas are absolutely beautiful. My brother lives near Talladega I'm about an 1.5 hours south of there. Been making trips to those trails since I was young.

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
Hey, how have I missed this post. Another Alabamian, and a fellow camper. I love the Talladega Forrest area, especially Mt Cheaha. I've also done some turkey hunting out that way, back when I had patience and time.

I'm in Helena, and hang at The Briary occasionally. If you haven't heard of The Briary, check it out. It's one of the largest pipe shops in the US, and it has a huge selection of high end pipes. And, a great selection of tins. Tell them Cosmic said hi, if I am not in there when you visit.

I'll see you in the threads.
I'll have to check out The Briary, since my brother found out I was taking up the pipe he's been talking about us visiting some good stores. Hard to find local shops any more. Everything is fading away.
And speaking of turkeys, we were hiking in Talladega in the pouring rain when a whole flock of turkeys that were laying low took off practically at our feet. Like the things quails do to test your heart condition. When turkeys do it, it goes to a whole different level.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Thanks, I've been taking it slow and easy, getting to know the materials. If you have any wisdom to share with someone just getting into restoring pipes, I all ears. Or eyes as the case maybe here. Realizing pretty quickly there are some nice pipes for good prices out there if you're willing to devote a little time to bringing them to life.
There is a ton of information out there. I visit rebornpipes a lot and see how he does his restorations. I don't go quite as far as he does. I only clean, sanitize and restore them to the point I can smoke them. I'll buff and polish with pure carnauba wax to make them look nice, but am more concerned with the mechanics. Looking forward to seeing some of your pipes.

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
There is a ton of information out there. I visit rebornpipes a lot and see how he does his restorations. I don't go quite as far as he does. I only clean, sanitize and restore them to the point I can smoke them. I'll buff and polish with pure carnauba wax to make them look nice, but am more concerned with the mechanics. Looking forward to seeing some of your pipes.
This is the first one I've worked on. I've got the stem shining a little better since this pic was taken a few days ago. A couple of folks on here have been very helpful putting me on track about its history. Really more of a clean up on it. There was oxidation on the stem and the briar was nearly black, but otherwise it was in good form.
20211207_190417.jpg

I'll have to check out The Briary, since my brother found out I was taking up the pipe he's been talking about us visiting some good stores. Hard to find local shops any more. Everything is fading away.
And speaking of turkeys, we were hiking in Talladega in the pouring rain when a whole flock of turkeys that were laying low took off practically at our feet. Like the things quails do to test your heart condition. When turkeys do it, it goes to a whole different level.
Skip has been saying that he will close the shop next year sometime, so if you want to check out a piece of pipe history, that place is well worth it. It has kept pipes popular in our area for quite a while. When we lose B&Ms, we lose participants in the hobby.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
This is the first one I've worked on. I've got the stem shining a little better since this pic was taken a few days ago. A couple of folks on here have been very helpful putting me on track about its history. Really more of a clean up on it. There was oxidation on the stem and the briar was nearly black, but otherwise it was in good form.
View attachment 113858
You did a great job on that. It's a good looking pipe for sure. That's about as far as I go with the estate pipes I've been getting. They're all for my own use so no need for a full restoration, even if I had the skill to do it.

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
You did a great job on that. It's a good looking pipe for sure. That's about as far as I go with the estate pipes I've been getting. They're all for my own use so no need for a full restoration, even if I had the skill to do it.
Thanks, took it out to the lake yesterday after work for its firs smoke since I got it. The size and shape are about perfect for me. I'm new to pipe smoking but got through without a gurgle or the bowl getting hot and only a couple of relights. Paying attention to forum advise and the videos has been a good thing. Found a couple of nice fishing lures for the tackle box and listened to a pair of loons, which are uncommon this far south. Made for a good evening.

Reactions: Reggie and jpmcwjr

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Thanks, took it out to the lake yesterday after work for its firs smoke since I got it. The size and shape are about perfect for me. I'm new to pipe smoking but got through without a gurgle or the bowl getting hot and only a couple of relights. Paying attention to forum advise and the videos has been a good thing. Found a couple of nice fishing lures for the tackle box and listened to a pair of loons, which are uncommon this far south. Made for a good evening.
Don't forget to post in the "what are you smoking december 2021" thread. It will give you a chance to show your pipes and let everyone know what tobacco you're smoking. Some of the members have some very exceptional pipes. Mine are all pretty workaday pipes, nothing spectacular.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California!

1639870770217.png
Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts. It cuts down on posts or PMs asking where you are.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
Welcome from the Central Coast of California!

View attachment 115628
Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts. It cuts down on posts or PMs asking where you are.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.
Will do! Thanks for the note!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
Skip has been saying that he will close the shop next year sometime, so if you want to check out a piece of pipe history, that place is well worth it. It has kept pipes popular in our area for quite a while. When we lose B&Ms, we lose participants in the hobby.
Seems like all the good places are closing shop. There once was a nice shop in LaGrange, GA which is close to me. Got a couple of cigar tubes from them for traveling with fountain pen on airplanes. When I finally get a pipe and discover the local shop closed. Times are indeed changing.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.