PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony.A

Lurker
Apr 4, 2022
Richmond, VA
Hi, I’m Tony. I’ve been reading the forum for a couple of years without commenting. I’ve been smoking pipes for about three years. I’ve noticed a few threads about whether dunhills are worth the money. in the spirit of “you don’t know something untill you learn it”, I welcome reading the reply’s that actually answer with honesty instead of chiding the OP for asking a question that we’ve all asked. Are they a wise purchase for someone who is still figuring out what they like? Only that person can answer that in my opinion. I will say that good solid briar is not cheap.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Depends on you budget but if you're new I'd be cautious about buying any pipe with the notion of improving your experience dramatically. Never smoked a Dunhill but every pipe I have smoked does smoke differently then the rest to some extent. That said the thing that will make the most difference unless a pipe is garbage will be your technique which takes some time to get down. A meh pipe smokes better for me now then a great pipe could have when I started.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
Hello Tony from Mobile Alabama!

I am happy with all the Dunhills I have gotten over the years along with most of the other pipe brands. Some of my other favorites are Comoy's, Barling's, BBB, GDB, Savinelli and the list just keeps going on and on and on.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Hey there and welcome! I’ve got plenty of Dunhills ranging from the early 60s to I believe about 2001 and I like them all. Generally speaking I prefer the early ones mainly because of their styling and the fantastically light briar. The blasting is wonderful. The newest one has a lovely ring grain but the briar seems significantly heavier. All smoke great. Quality has been uniformly excellent, even on the few from the early 70s which was when the quality seemed to diminish - I’ve seen a few that I wouldn’t like to own from the later periods through the 80s I suppose, and I’m sure that’s where some disappointment comes from.

As to price, my opinion is that most “luxury” items or high end brands are are just marketing more than anything but that doesn’t equate to not being high quality (for the most part anyway). Plenty of fantastic artisan pipes of equal quality for the same price.

I’ve had good luck finding estates at quite reasonable prices and would recommend trying your luck if you’re interested in discovering something about the brand! Some sponsors here and you can also find great traded from members.

Hope that provides the type of information you are seeking.

Cheers and welcome.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row” Richmond Virginia USA
Welcome from Richmond VA 🇺🇸
I dunno 🤷‍♂️ I started with Ben Wades and Peterson’s in the late 80’s Never could afford Dunhill’s as a young soldier. I have a few Shell’s now but I can’t say they are any better or worse than other Makers.
I say smoke what you want and keep the expectations low and
Discover what you like over time.
For the price range there are plenty of Alternatives .
IMG_8365.jpeg

Tony.A

Lurker
Apr 4, 2022
Richmond, VA
I'm betting Richmond!

And also, what tobaccos do you like? Same with pipes.
I am an east cost person (D.C/New York corridor) who is now working in CA. But I spent Covid in Richmond, working in a great Cigar and Pipe store. That's where I started smoking pipes. I went from 5 cigars a day to maybe once a month now that I smoke a pipe.

I'm not sure I've settled on an "everyday" smoke. I seemed to have tried so many. I love 965, Early Morning Pipe, and Nightcap. I mix some C&D Burley Ribbon cut into those sometimes. I'll even smoke SWR sometimes, which is something I thought I'd never do.

Notibly, I went through a patch where I smoked Rattray's Hal 'O The Wynd for several months every morning, then one day I just got so sick over it. Still can't smoke it months later. Same thing happened with C&D Abingdon.

Don't much like aromatics. What are yours?

Tony.A

Lurker
Apr 4, 2022
Richmond, VA
Welcome from Richmond VA 🇺🇸
I dunno 🤷‍♂️ I started with Ben Wades and Peterson’s in the late 80’s Never could afford Dunhill’s as a young soldier. I have a few Shell’s now but I can’t say they are any better or worse than other Makers.
I say smoke what you want and keep the expectations low and
Discover what you like over time.
For the price range there are plenty of Alternatives .
View attachment 322538
I used to work at Havana Connections. Great place to work, good down to earth people. Both employees and clientele.

Tony.A

Lurker
Apr 4, 2022
Richmond, VA
I'm also still search for the perfect pipe. I have several Petersons, Savinellis, and Nording - You know, all the main brands. I've tried Rattray's pipes, and clay pipes, but its the Savinellis and the petersons that I like the best.

Testing the waters on more expensive pipes. Just bought a Savinelli Punto Oro just to try it out. I like the big pipes. Want to save my pennies and try an Ashton and a Dunhill when I can afford to.

I really like that pot belly pipe the Irish guy was smoking on Peaky Blinders, so I bought a similar Peterson and love it. And interestingly enough, I also like the one in the Oppenheimer movie. Looks like a Dunhill.

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes
Status
Not open for further replies.