PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokestream

Lurker
Mar 28, 2012
Thought I would join a forum, I started smoking a pipe about 2 months ago. And also joined because I would like to learn more about pipes. I recently was givin what looks like a meerschaum pipe, and could use some help in finding out if it's a good pipe or junk. I am adding a YouTube link so people can see it.
Thank you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Ew8h3I0as&feature=youtube_gdata_player
*Edit*- changed title to attract other members who may know more about this or similar pipes. -J

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Welcome to the forum.
Concerning meer pipes- many have no markings so it would be hard to tell exactly who made it or the age. I will say always go with block meer pressed meer will not color correctly and can crack if it gets to hot.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I cant view the video but if you can post a pic it would be more helpful. Plus we like to drool over any nice pipe.
Also show the shank where the tennon fits in the meer. Taken a part of coarse.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Welcome to the forum. Your pipe looks good to Me, I would say it's made from a block but it's hard to say for sure.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I am unable to view due to the paramiters of my work computer will not permit video. but here is an awsome site that can help also as long as the pipe is not smoked.

http://altinokmeerschaumpipes.com/meerschaum_care.asp

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Looks like a nice little Meer, to me. It's a very interesting carving. Maybe Fred will chime in. He's sort of the resident Meerschaum dude. Like I said, it looks fine. Smoke and enjoy! Rub it with some beeswax while you smoke and polish off the excess after it cools. It will turn some cool colors.
EDIT: If on eof the mods can fix the title to include a meerschaum question, Fred may be more likely to appear.

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
Welcome to the forum! That's a nice meer you got, unfortunately I don't know much about meers so I can not offer any insight. Enjoy it in good health! :puffy:

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Welcome to the forum!
From what I have gathered here and elsewhere, the difference that would matter to me between block meer and pressed meer is PRICE based on QUALITY of materials ...... sort of like "solid wood board" vs "particle board" since I can't find a proper analogy right now ....
I'd say it's a block pipe and a very nice one. Meers need a bit more care than briars.

Status
Not open for further replies.