PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geraldt

Lurker
Jul 13, 2016
I have been a cigar smoker for about 10yrs now. I smoke good cigars no cheap crap from the local gas station. Keep up with 2 humidors and very much enjoy smoking a good cigar with a glass of some single malt scotch. I grew up with some good friends of my parents that were quit a bit older than them and the old man (that's what he had us kids call him) smoked a pipe. I can remember to this day him sitting in his chair getting out his pouch get his pipe out put some tobacco in it and light it up. I can still remember the smell of that pipe like it was yesterday. If he was still alive I would ask him advice on pipes and tobaccos. So my questions are What pipe can I buy $50-$100 range? I would Iike a wood pipe. What tobacco would I need to buy? I like to smoke cigars medium to full. Don't know if that would be same as pipe tobacco. What else do I need to buy to get started? I have all types of cigars some that I like to smoke in the morning that are mild some for during the day and some for after dinner and just a general cigar to grab a smoke for whenever and to hand out to friends or colleagues of mine that might like to join. I have read where there are different size of bowls to last for longer sessions like I have cigars that will burn for a good 2-2.5 hrs. So please let me know what I need if I need to have more info let me know so I can get setup and start pipe smoking.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Welcome to the forum, Gerald! :puffy:
I love a good cigar as well ... even roll my own now. One pipe blend that really scratches my cigar itch is Big N' Burley. Also, a good stout blend that has Dark Fired in it, like GLP JackKnife Plug, might be tasty to you.
As for a briar pipe in that price range, I'd look at Savinelli. Great smokers at a reasonable price. Gotta recommend at least one or two cobs as well or I wouldn't be doing my job. LOL
Where do you live? Any good shops nearby?

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Welcome aboard Gerald.
Cobguy has some good advice. Savinelli's are excellent briar pipes for around $100. A few corncob pipes will be great for staring out and sampling different blends. I would start with samples of English, aromatics, Virginias, burleys, etc. That will quickly determine which types you are fond of and then you can narrow your focus on finding "the magic blend."
A trip to the local tobacconist would be very helpful for starting out. If you're lucky, they will give you a crash course for beginners with lots of different samples from the in house blends.
Patients is the key when starting. Yes, you might burn your finger or get tongue bite. The pipe may not stay lit. After a little trouble shooting you'll get the hang of it and it'll be worth the wait.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I would start with samples of English, aromatics, Virginias, burleys, etc
I started with OHM Bold, a burley/va ryo ribbon, within a couple of weeks I'd tried Blender's gold and Captain Black White.

Paying drugstore prices for tobacco blends that were not highly valued by experienced pipe smokers stopped as soon as I discovered this web page and started exploring. I found that most non aromatic tobacco blends had some redeeming characteristic, and will admit to one or two aromatic successes.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome to the club!
Like most things, you just have to experiment with it to see what you like. I'm new to this thing too and I can say you have come to the right place - this forum is fantastic.
I think most briar pipes are down to style but smoke somewhat similarly. Meerschaum pipes are a little more costly but smoke a little cooler (at least that's what I've heard).
Happy exploring!

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I'll join in and support Cobguy's advice: Savinelli makes a really good pipe in your price range, but I would definitely get a cob or two. My advice would be for you to start out only with cobs. Why? You can try out pipe smoking with only a $5.00 investment per pipe to see if you will like the whole experience. The ritual (learning how to pack, light, puff, etc.), the taste of pipe tobaccos and the overall experience for the beginner won't be materially different in a cob than with a higher priced pipe. Also consider ghosting: let's say you try aromatic, Lakeland or Latakia blends and decide they're not for you. You could have a hell of a time getting the lingering taste out of your $100 pipe. That's why some of us dedicate pipes to certain blends. Better to throw your haunted $5.00 cob in a drawer than a more expensive piece. Good luck, and keep us posted.

gordebak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 12, 2016
Hello and welcome Gerald.
I'm new to this stuff too. After navigating through the forum a bit, I can say that people here are generally crazy about corn cobs. There's a minority who don't like them, because of their looks, but they don't deny cobs are good smokers.
Hopefully, I will try my first corn cob pipe tomorrow. It's a Missouri Meerschaum Eaton. If I like it, I will order more, because currently I only have one pear wood pipe, and I really need to give it a rest ;) I'm abusing it badly.

geraldt

Lurker
Jul 13, 2016
Sorry didn't put where I live. I live in Duncan, ok. I am about 1.5hr south from OKC. there are a couple shops near me one in in Lawton called beans and briar and tinder box in okc. I'm sure here are a few more but I use the beans and briar for all my cigar purchases. I will get a cob or two and try those first didn't think about having different pipes for different blends. Hopefully I can get a cob there in Lawton and some tobacco. Thanks for the help. I sure I will have many more questions in the future.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
A couple Cobs, some Carter Hall, Captain Black and/or Lane 1Q would be a great place to start and all should be available, 1oz packs of each tobacco and 2 maby 3 Cobs should run you about $25-30 at any shop in OKC

Jun 27, 2016
You can also do a "cigar leaf" based search by clicking on the blend type at tobaccoreviews, although there were a couple that I know of that didn't pop up, such as Planta Full English and McClelland Black Sea Sokhoum. The Planta is supposed to have Syrian Latakia in it too and smokingpipes sells it in bulk. I have not bought or tried it though.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I'd echo the idea to get a couple of cobs to start with and some tobacco that's easy to learn with -- say Carter Hall, Orlik Golden Slice, Dunhill 965 or Nightcap, I find them to be reliable and not requiring fussy preparation. From there you can can branch out to blends you may find more satisfying. Check out Tobaccoreviews.com to get insight on the myriad of blends available.
For briar's in your range suggest Savinelli, Rossi, or Stanwell

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"Wood" pipes are usually briar. Savinelli is good, also Nording, Stanwell, Chacom, Big Ben, Parker, and many others. But stick with known brand names. Missouri Meerschaum and Old Dominion cobs are always good, so you can buy more expensive pipes one at a time, over time. If you want a long smoke, you might like larger bowl pipes, but also be aware of the weight of the pipes, especially if you intend to "clench," smoke with them held in your mouth. Learn about filters. Many don't want them, smoke filter pipes without them, or buy pipes that don't have them. Just learn about them so you know what you're doing. I'm surprised there aren't more brief run-downs on filters -- we on Forums have to keep explaining them, and it's both monotonous and unnecessary.
Welcome aboard! You can save a lot of money smoking a pipe instead of a cigar, and still get a premium experience. It takes some practice and patience, but it pays off, in savings and enjoyment.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
First off welcome to our stellar group, and as far as pipes go you can't go wrong with peterson, gbd, Kaywoodie, savinelli,ascorti, charatan, stanwell, just to name a few. As far as tobacco that's just something you're going to find out for yourself, I'm partial to English blends and Virginia perique blends, sometimes oriental blends. For just getting started check out eBay for estate pipes you can get a really nice one for a pretty good deal.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Ah, skip the cobs and pick up some good briar (nothing wrong with cobs, just not my thing). You'll get a nice pipe at 50 to 100. Any of the known brands will do ya'. You'll find a favorite, don't worry. Definitely try out the different tobaccos, but some Hearth and Home Virginia spice might be right up your alley, it has cigar leaf in it and takes you to a nice place when you aren't sure if you want a pipe or a cigar. I'd definitely recommend stronger English (and heavy latakia) blends coming from the cigar world, but you might not find that true for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.