Hello All! Least Desirable Smoking Experience?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 12, 2022
Western Pennsylvania
Thanks everyone for your replies. Wow, this is great. So fascinating to see the spectrum of opinions! Gaining a broader understanding of general trends and statistics can be very interesting, but I also admit that the determining variable of personal taste/subjectivity is unique from person to person. Not wanting to bash blends for this reason (and to support pipe smoking as a whole) is completely understandable! Sablebrush52: Burning your hair in your dorm sounds like a total bummer. Certainly a less than desirable experience!

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Mixture 79 ...some love it, made me gag and ghosted one of my favorite cobs!

Also, hello from the Greensburg/Latrobe area - I actually work out in the city (the commute is the perfect amount of time for a bowl!) Cheers! ...there's a pipe night at a local cigar lounge (Nelson Loguasto's) on the 25th if you wanna venture afar to meet some other pipe smokers!

Jan 12, 2022
Western Pennsylvania
Mixture 79 ...some love it, made me gag and ghosted one of my favorite cobs!

Also, hello from the Greensburg/Latrobe area - I actually work out in the city (the commute is the perfect amount of time for a bowl!) Cheers! ...there's a pipe night at a local cigar lounge (Nelson Loguasto's) on the 25th if you wanna venture afar to meet some other pipe smokers!
This sounds absolutely fantastic, adding it to my calendar now, we’ll see what the wife says about our schedule that day ?.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
As has been said, "body chemistry" (I'm not sure whether that's the most accurate possible term, but it's the term in circulation among pipe smokers) varies wildly as regards tobacco preferences and aversions. I don't pretend to understand why, but it seems that tobacco smoke taste is less objective than food or drink taste is (at least for all practical purposes).

My most dramatic aversion in recent memory was to 4Noggins "Weybridge." I experienced a strong gag reflex to it. Yet JimInks gives it 4 out of 4 stars. My aversion must be an idiosyncrasy.

Jan 12, 2022
Western Pennsylvania
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. So many new faces.

My personal worst pipe smoking experience was also when I didn’t know how to smoke (at all). Heck, I’m sure each of us are still continually growing at this wonderful ongoing experiment to discover the perfect smoke for us.

I can’t remember the blend, looking back at how little I knew: I’m almost certain the pipe I was using was more meant for decor than to be actually smoked. But I stupidly broke it in anyway. I don’t think it was briar, and I would imagine it probably wasn’t drilled properly. Tasted like burning plywood and glue. Horrendous.

Fast forward 10 years, and I’m slowly sipping the rather peculiar “blend D-9507” by Peretti, in their 150 year old brick and mortar shop, with my Rossi Rubino Antico 8614 (and no, it does not taste like burning plywood and glue, it is a charming, and delicious dream).

Last edited:

Nitrane84

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2022
Chatham-Kent
Hello to all of you from Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. My name is Ian. I have learned so much here, and I am incredibly grateful for this community.

If you would, could you tell me a "less than satisfactory" pipe smoking experience you may have had in the past? Would you be willing to note the blend and pipe used? I have plenty of recommendations and praises for various pipes/blends, and yet nothing subpar to compare them to!

Thanks so much everyone!
I made the mistake once of cube cutting some gawith firedance flake so finely that it was like trying to smoke a clogged up ashtray. Was a waste of a good bowl of baccy in my cob

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome!

It was Middleton's Cherry Blend, but 50 years ago, so the taste has left me.

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts. It cuts down on posts or PMs asking where you are.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.