PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Hi folks! I'm interested in sealing up some of my cellar in an effort to prevent dry-out. I'm being over-run by jars so I'm looking to seal some in plastic/mylar that I can easily stash in large plastic tubs. I'm not interested in vacuum sealing, just heat sealing. Is there an affordable way I can get this started? I see 12" heat sealers on ebay for around $100 and small hand-held jobs for under $10. Anyone tried this cheap one? I'd be completely happy if I could just heat seal Ziplocs. All help appreciated! Thx!

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I use a vacuum sealer but dont always use the vacuum option...like a large Solani tin I just seal them.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I have used a hand iron used for model airplane fabric installation to seal Mylar bags.
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXB357&P=0
$20

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Be sure to use only thick aluminized Mylar bags. Anything else is second rate. I use quart and gallon size 5.5 mil. bags from MylarPro with excellent results. If you get a modeler's heat sealing iron get the one with a pointy tip. I use a dedicated mylar sealer which allows three seals across the top of the bags which allows three usages. The zip seal on MylarPro bags is very good, far better than any kitchen bag no matter how heavy duty.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Great info. Thanks! I was not aware that you could use a Food Saver without the vacuum. Maybe I can find a used one at a yard sale for cheap. Interesting option, that model hand iron. Thanks again!

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
A friend told me that a regular household clothes iron can be used. The main advantage to the commercial sealers is that they are faster for sealing multiple bags.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I've also read about people using something along the lines of this thing. Can't vouch for how well it works but might be worth some experimentation.
Hair Straightener

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You will preserve the moisture in your tobacco, but the organic molecules that make tobacco worth smoking will pass through most plastic bags. Use jars, or prepare for disappointment down the road.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Agree with woodsroad wholeheartedly. 5.5 mil aluminized Mylar bags are not most bags. They are an overarchingly superior product that could scarcely be designed more specifically for tobacco storage.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I've been using food-grade 5.5 Mylar for about a year. I can get a lot more tobacco stored in a certain amount of space using the bags as opposed jars. And I can cut the seal at the top with a razor blade, and reseal if I so desire. Bags are so much easier and space saving.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Pacific Bag
Small foot sealer and your all set. I sent about 4 pounds split up into 1 oz portions over to Afghanistan. They worked like a charm and will stay fresh for years. These bags are less than 3c per

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nice looking, but scant information as to what they are made of. No mention of mylar, so are they thick plastic?
GetImage.ashx

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I use my mom’s old iron to seal Mylar bags. I don’t think the tobacco will get out without some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.