PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gothicmace

Lurker
Nov 1, 2013
Georgia
This is a two thumbs up smoke recommended personally by Russ O at Pipes and Cigars. I wanted something that would replace my OTC grabs of SWR... HalfnHalf and CH.... My taste has been going more towards the non-aromatic but still give me just a little something for my sweet tooth. Russ recommend TWO blends H&H L.J. Heart Burley and H&H L.J. Heart Virginia. This review is on the burley and it rocks. I am a current cigarette smoker who is going to switch over to my pipes... and THIS fits the bill. Good natural tobacco taste but yet a very slight sweet and some what nutty taste... and as you go down the bowl.. it has a multi dimentional nature that keeps you interested the whole smoke. This is on the top of my list as a daily smoke .. and a great way to start my day with a cup of coffee and a cob full of L.J. Heart Burley... TWO thumbs up. :D

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Sounds great. There are a lot of good burleys out there these days that would satisfy a cigarette smoker. Cornell and Diehl makes some really good ones like Haunted Bookshop, Burley Flake #2 and Old Joe Krantz.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Gothicmace:
If you find yourself wanting to explore burleys in more depth, I would highly recommend some of the great Virginia/burley flakes. A very good straightforward one is Samuel Gawith's Brown Flake, available in bulk. I am also a big fan of Samuel Gawith's Navy Flake, which adds just the tiniest amount of latakia (I doubt that you'd even taste it) and a touch of rum. Also high on my list is Bob's Chocolate Flake from Gawith & Hoggarth. Despite its name, it has only a touch of cocoa in the blend; it's definitely not an aromatic by any definition.
I find I'm less a fan of straight burley flakes (or flakes dominated by burley), due to their typically high nicotine content. In this category, Solani's Aged Burley Flake is too harsh for me, but I can enjoy MacBaren's HH Old Dark Fired.
For me, the absolute peak of perfection in this category, though, is Esoterica's Stonehaven. I've never encountered another so smooth, rich, sweet, and delicious. But, of course, that's almost like telling you the best way to travel is by dragon! ;)
I know you weren't looking for other recommendations here. But I often find that if I'm drawn to a particular blend, I like to go on and explore that style as much as possible. Maybe you will too.
Bob
P.S. Cornell & Diehl is also known for their use of burley in their blends. I'm not a fan, but I know there are many fans here. So I certainly haven't covered the gamut of what's available!

gothicmace

Lurker
Nov 1, 2013
Georgia
Bob thanks for the input.... I have been out of pipe smoking since I left the Army in 86... I was unpacking my pipe collection several months ago.. got out the bar keepers friend for all of those vulcanite stems... and decided since they are all clean... to start smoking them again...that was about 3 or 4 months ago... and since then.. as I have gotten older.... I am having a ball with all these different tobacco blends. My highlight used to be SWR ... so THANKS for the other recommendations... kicking this cigarette habit is hard... but I am going to be stick free by New Years.. and just enjoying all these tobaccos and pipes I have. SO recommendations are always welcomed.. and I am going to try a few samples of the ones you pointed out.

Happy Holidays

Merry Christmas

Mike... aka.. Gothicmace :)

Status
Not open for further replies.