PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
About 3 to 4 years ago I bought two 8oz tins of Anni Kake. I jarred one and left the other in the tin. I'm now wondering if maybe I shouldn't have left it in the tin as it's one of those cardboard based packages with a silver bottom. Anyone know if long term storage would be ok or if I should also transfer this tin to jars.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The only "tins" I trust for longterm storage are tins. Anything that comes in a cardboard "tin" I put in jars, but according to Greg Pease the cardboard "tins" he uses are rated for long term storage.
Not all cardboard "tins" are equal though.

I've heard that the H&H tins are pretty good. But, once you let the blend get some age, you pop it, and have half a pound of aged Annie Cake that you have to smoke fairly quickly. My experience with aged blends is that the darker crystal covered leaf dries out to worthless dust pretty quickly. You'll have half a pound in a huge can. I don't think I could enjoy half a pound quickly. And, if you re-jar it in the future, you will be creating new unpredictable environments for the new jars.
Just something to think about.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks everyone.
Cosmic I haven't thought of that. So it's best I break it up into several pint jars now.
Ben and anyone else that would like to try a sample shoot me a PM with your address.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'm smoking from a 2012 eight ounce tin of AK, which I opened bout three months ago. No problems at all. Tobacco as moist when I opened it as it is now. No dust, except for what you get whenever you break apart the tobacco. I've known two people who have opened 7 year old AK tins with the same results. These tins are food grade and as long as they are stored properly, should for years. I've opened other aged tins with no issues. The fiction that they are only good for a short while is fiction.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'll have to look into that. I'd be afraid of those suckers blowing up on me. lol
Thanks

Jim

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Just be sure that the plunger face is smaller than the jar inside diameter. Get it centered and have at it. I use the large size caulk gun and pint jars. You can not exert enough pressure on the tobacco with the caulk gun to burst the jar. I pack the jar half way by hand, then compress. Keep filling and compressing until the jar is full.
A pint jar can hold about 7oz of compressed tobacco.

I see the reason why you want to get rid of air. But, I would have to weigh between opening 7oz of tobacco to have to smoke fairly quickly with the benefits of having no air, which is questionable. I mean, I have many loosely packed jars that are already darkening and looking aged after two, three or more years. For me, ease and convenience of opening a smaller portion in the future, without risking waste overrides cramming so much in.
But, I have always loved your post using the caulk gun. It's genius in a way.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I use beer bottle to press tobacco into the jars. Work well.

Usually I can fit 1lb into 1L jar. Yes, 1L. Canada)))))

Status
Not open for further replies.