PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
A couple weeks ago I saw in the news that Health Canada is seeking consultation for a new tobacco control strategy, and accepting submissions from individuals.
Here's a link to the appropriate Health Canada webpage LINK
Change may be brewing.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Best strategy is to drive everyone back to pipes and cigars, which are "objectively" less destructive than cigarettes.

Mar 1, 2014
If they want to stop being hypocrites they should just outlaw cigarettes.

I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't admit that a nicotine addiction is unhealthy for them.
At the same time they should redefine Cigars and Pipe Tobacco as an unregulated product.
There has always been debate about tobacco regulation in every culture ever since it was introduced to Europe, but people didn't have any serious problems with it until cigarettes made it so incredibly convenient.
The worst part about this is you have to wonder if protesting any new restrictions won't land you on some sort of black list. If anything I would give feedback to my MP in person.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
The worst part about this is you have to wonder if protesting any new restrictions won't land you on some sort of black list.
I have to agree the thought does cross my mind.
d2c67e39d1fbc7e8e5e433710a088c15a168bccecff49291e0e583c2db34193a.jpg

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I'm encouraged to see they are at least considering harm reduction as part of the new strategy. On the other hand I'm skeptical that it will come to anything since the anti-tobacco lobby is so strong here.
In addition to vaping products, there are also new tobacco products emerging on the global market. Data published by the tobacco industry reports that certain new tobacco products produce fewer harmful emissions; however, these claims have not been independently verified and the effects on human health are currently unknown.
I wonder what "new" products they are referring to. Snuff is the original form of tobacco consumption and has been around for centuries. There have been no documented cases of cancer caused by snuff. The UK even taxes it at a much lower rate due to it's relative safety. Snus is another option that should be considered as the use of air cured tobacco and pasteurization process eliminates most of the TSNAs that are linked to cancer. I'm not optimistic that these will be part of their harm reduction strategy but will wait and see.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Well, the article starts off on a false premise, that tobacco is the leading cause of death. I'd write them to get that straightened out right now!
The leading causes of death are doctors and lawyers!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
If they want to stop being hypocrites they should just outlaw cigarettes.

I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't admit that a nicotine addiction is unhealthy for them.
At the same time they should redefine Cigars and Pipe Tobacco as an unregulated product.
Although there is certainly hypocrisy in government actions, your idea is incongruous.
If nicotine addiction is the problem, all nicotine delivery systems should be banned, including cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco and e cigarettes. No exceptions. The real health issue is heart disease, emphysema, cancer and other respiratory illnesses. This is caused by inhaling smoke, not nicotine. Unfortunately our government has every bit as much interest in pleasing certain people so that they can be re elected as they do in forming substantive, fact based policies and laws.
I have had correspondence and meetings with my MP many times. I can assure you of two things
1. Unless you are an extremist whack job or are belligerent with them, you will not end up on any black list
2. You will get the same political double talk in private as you do in public. They are just too afraid of everyone's access to publishing (blogs, forums, social media, etc)
The real fight we should be waging is the idea that government should have no power to stop anyone from doing anything that may harm themselves, but at the same time, we as individuals must take responsibility and accept consequences for our own actions. Of course, the moment our actions harm someone else, this all goes out the window.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
The leading causes of death are doctors and lawyers!
I think doctors are a bit down the list, but those damn lawyers are right up there in the top 3 :rofl:

Mar 1, 2014
I found this video yesterday: https://youtube.com/watch?v=BXyfCGDnuWs

Of course an outlier doesn't proove anything, at the same time this guy is quite the spokesperson for Cigars (and pipes by association).
Bassbug, you've managed to take almost everything I said out of context.

Maybe I should have worded things a bit differently but ultimately we come to the same conclusion.
My comment about meeting with an MP was to say that face to face interactions are the only safe way to discuss policies that go against the current establishment.

I would feel comfortable discussing just about anything with my current MP, and probably even the relevant health minister of the opposing party, but throwing your name into a machine tends to de-humanize people.
It seems that a bit of legislation has been changing recently, at this point I suspect it would be just about impossible to prohibit any substance use/abuse.
My assumption was that suicide was still illegal, apparently it hasn't for some time, but some key points were changed last year:

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia_in_Canada

Before it had been amended in 2016, the Criminal Code of Canada stated in section 241(b) that “Every one who ….(b) aids or abets a person to commit suicide, whether suicide ensues or not, is guilty of an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years”[13]
I was about to make the point that allowing people to use cigarettes could be considered a form of suicide, but apparently that's not criminal behavior anymore, especially now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess they want to go on record as being against the devil.
A joke: The minister went to talk to a man who was very ill and asked him if he wanted to take this time to denounce the devil. And the man cleared his throat and shifted a little in bed, and said, "I think not, Reverend. This is no time to be making new enemies."

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Best strategy is to drive everyone back to pipes and cigars, which are "objectively" less destructive than cigarettes.
+1. Wouldn't that be something, if pipes and cigars were offered as an alternative to cigarettes. The 'harm reduction model' is really gaining steam in other areas.
At the very least, I would say that pipes are not cigarettes, and should be treated differently, rather than implementing a one size fits all tax and regulation scheme across the board.
Of course pipe smoking helps with anxiety, as well as emotional, mental, and spiritual wellbeing.

The worst part about this is you have to wonder if protesting any new restrictions won't land you on some sort of black list.
The thought had crossed my mind also.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Hey frozen...
We may have taken different routes, but as long we came to the same place, it's all good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.