Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
3-725.jpg

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
My limit is £80 per pipe, I usually stick around that. While I don't think spending more would prompt a bad reaction, I would cry my leg off! I have enough expensive hobbies

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
Reason #345345346436346 to not ever get married.
But, I think this leads to a decent topic as theotherspace alluded to: Every one of my pipes is less than $100--I have no "high-end" pipes and I don't see the reason to buy one (unless I can find a rare birthyear Dunhill). Why spend upwards of hundreds of dollars for a "name" pipe when you can buy a couple of very good Savinellis or $30-40 dollar pipes that smoke the EXACT same, if not better, than the $100-1,000+ pipes?
2 cents.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
His reaction should have been ",well honey you know I have you financed for life, right?"

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Financing!! Never thought of that!! Maybe I could buy something other than Grabows! 8O

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Lol, this reminds me of my lady friend trying to guess how much each of my pipes cost the other day.......I just let her keep guessing.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
You're right, Philip. I just did a quick calculation and the cost of my family over the past 30 years comes to 6,571 medium grade Dunhills. But it's all about love, right?

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I've never financed a pipe... but I know I spend way more than I should.
(I don't leave my K-Bar laying around where she can get her hands on it).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
flipflopsandshades, I have 4 Savinelli's in my collection and yes they smoke great, but I have other pipes that do smoke better and for not a lot more. I have a couple of Upshall sandblasted pipes that cost me 80-120 and they do smoke better. I have a couple of Willmer straight grains that cost less than 200 and they smoke better than 700 dollar pipes I have owned in the past. What I am saying is that you can buy pipes for less than 200 that are incredible smokers and they are name brands. There are many examples of where you get what you pay for. Of course there are plenty of pipes that are overrated and not worth the money.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I wonder how many pairs of shoes and nail appointments would = that pipe .My wife likes to say,Honey that is not who we are .

nerval

Lurker
Jul 3, 2012
sandshades, I have 4 Savinelli's in my collection and yes they smoke great, but I have other pipes that do smoke better and for not a lot more. I have a couple of Upshall sandblasted pipes that cost me 80-120 and they do smoke better. I have a couple of Willmer straight grains that cost less than 200 and they smoke better than 700 dollar pipes I have owned in the past. What I am saying is that you can buy pipes for less than 200 that are incredible smokers and they are name brands. There are many examples of where you get what you pay for. Of course there are plenty of pipes that are overrated and not worth the money.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.