Have You Ever Had a Pipe Blend That Made You Feel Slightly Ill?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I don't think any tobacco blend has made me feel ill. Too much nicotine is unpleasant and makes me want to sleep it off, but it's not a blend-specific thing.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have to agree with Workman. Never had a blend that made me feel ill...a few high nicotine blends have made feel dizzy enough to make me want to just sit and relax.

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
I've had pipes makes me feel uneasy, my throat would get tight and it felt like I had indigestion and heartburn.
I'm not sure what caused it. It seems to have had to do with moisture in the pipe (I had a couple of pipes for a while that didn't pass cleaners, and this was before I knew to dry the tobacco--they would gurgle like mad by the end; but I've occasionally had the same problem other times).
I suspect it has to do with the ph of the steam.
For a while I thought it had to do with the presence of Latakia or perique, but I doubt that as I now smoke va/pers with no problem. I still need to revisit Latakia.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
The original Condor contains coumarin, to which I'm allergic, as I found out. I didn't like the blend and was made physically ill by smoking it. To the point that it provoked strong nausea and altered my palate to such a degree that I wasn't able to smoke anything at all for days on end. SG 1792 also kicked me for a loop but my experience with this blend is even sadder, for I loved 1792 but couldn't continue smoking it. Sad.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
NICOTINE IS SOMETHING YOU HAVE TO LEARN TO MANAGE.

1. SMOKE A STRONG TOBACCO ON A FULL STOMACH.

2. TRY CUTTING THE STRONG TOBACCO WITH A WEAKER TOBACCO 60/40 OR 80/20,OR WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU.IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING STRONG,LIKE CORNELL AND DIEHL #1 BURLEY FLAKE,TRY CUTTING IT WITH A GOOD QUALITY AROMATIC BLEND.IT WILL ACTUALLY IMPROVE THE AROMATIC,ADDING BODY AND FLAVOR.I TRIED THIS JUST FOR FUN WITH SOME BARELY TOUCHED DAVIDOFF ARO VIRGINIA,AND IT WORKED OUT VERY WELL.

I FIND THE STRONG,FLAVOR FORWARD TOBACCOS TO BE WORTH THE LEARNING CURVE.

ugh457

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2013
Brantford, Ont.
I had an ill feeling my first few bowls of Haunted Bookshop, however, that was in a new Peterson pipe.
I tried the same tobacco in a different pipe, still got a nauseous feeling, markedly less though. Perhaps in my case the bowl coating added to my feeling of ill.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Perhaps in my case the bowl coating added to my feeling of ill.
If you mean, pre-carbonated, that shouldn't be. It's non toxic and only helps with the absorption and break in.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I agree with you ugh457, Haunted Bookshop hit me the same way. I have had nic hits but this is different. I know this will get me thrown out of certain groups but I'll say right now...I just don't get along with Haunted Bookshop at all. Must be my body chemistry.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It has often been posted, but good hydration (water and other beverages) helps reduce a nicotine reaction, as does a substantial meal. Stronger tobaccos may go down better after a meal, with a beverage, and late in the day when you plan to sleep.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
sounds like nicotine overdose. Which actually can happen with pipes easier then people think. It's not the amount of nicotine but the amount entering your system quickly. And with pipes a lot of things can cause that effect. How hot, how fast you're puffing, etc.... Oh and here is another one. If I smoke my pipe before eating something I will puke and get dizzy.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
1792 almost knocked me down the first time I tried it. Not a happy experience. Slightly ill would have been preferable to how I felt. Since that time it's become one of my top 5. Pretty potent, but very smooth and unique flavor. Slow and steady wins the race.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cherry blends can raise my gorge a bit. A light cherry flavoring is tolerable, especially if the blend is tobacco forward and there is a nice base of burley or Virginia shining through. It's when that sweetness rises above the tobacco and gets in your nose and throat that some people feel less well. Really strong non-aromatics go better with some water in my system and some food under my belt. Some members have mentioned not liking Mixture No. 79 or particular other aromatics, but mostly I'm fine with them.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I came back to add, I had a bowl of old dark fired for the first time over the weekend, and again yesterday, and both times I for sure got overdosed on nicotine, light headed, stomach queezy. I enjoyed the flavor, and it was a really good smoke, but its definitely one I'm personally gonna have to take slow and maybe do half bowls until I get more accustomed to it. It's a strong blend, but not the strongest out there, and I'm not light weight when it comes to nicotine and it usually doesnt phase me in the slightest. But it goes to show, sometimes it happens to any of us

Reactions: UncleRasta
Status
Not open for further replies.