PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Flying in my backyard. We were jus trelaxing on the deck when I thought I saw a bald eagle off to the side but it disappeared so quickly that I figured it was the osprey we've had hanging around.
Then this giant flew right in front of us! Fortunately we had the camera with us (sorry it's a bit blurry - feel lucky we got anything!)
eagle-600x392.jpg

eagle2-600x392.jpg

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Beautiful! I've seen one wild eagle in my life, it was sitting in a field about 20 feet from the edge of the highway in Ohio right after a pretty bad thunder storm.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Good shots Six!

I've seen several in the wild myself, they're quite impressive.

As a matter of fact , me and a friend of mine watched a Bald Eagle battle about 50 crows over a dead fish at a mountain lake not far from my house. It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen in the wild!

We watched for a good 20 min. During that amount of time, the eagle killed about 15 of the crows!

He'd roll onto his back and grab them with his talons, then drop them as he rolled back over.

Every single one he did this to fell straight to the water, and didn't get back up.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
They are an impressive bird. I was in Alaska several years ago for some salmon fishing and when the salmon run there are eagles everywhere but you can never get enough. It's good to see them making a comeback. Great pictures, Thanks for sharing.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Wow Six, those are great shots. Eagles are so majestic.
What state are you in, again? I live in WA and the numbers here are really growing.

greyfoxactual

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2015
Minnesota
That's freedoming done right! Right off the back deck - lucky. I usually spot a few when I'm out in the kayak. I got one one video this weekend. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet.
Thanks for sharing!

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Damn Six, thats awesome... Ive only seen one in the wild a handful of times but have never taken a picture... Funny how people don't realize just how BIG they are... fricken wing span is massive!
Thank you very much for sharing this.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Awe inspiring bird, they have made a comeback here in New Brunswick, it's easy to see a couple dozen during a short trip down the St John River.The same thing on the Miramichi and Restigouche, too bad the same can't be said for the salmon.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Hey thanks guys - great comments all. This was the first time I've seen one in my backyard (we see a fair amount of wildlife).
We watched for a good 20 min. During that amount of time, the eagle killed about 15 of the crows!
Whoa!
What state are you in, again? I live in WA and the numbers here are really growing.
In central Vermont. I'm sure WA has a lot which is pretty cool.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
After 5 months of not seeing you, you come back with a great photo! We have osprey on the Eastern Shore of Virginia and enjoy their flight every day! Welcome back!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Very cool pics, buddy, thanks for sharing. Good to see you back in the saddle again here on the forums.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
VERY cool! About 15 years ago I was backpacking through the Canadian Rockies and camped underneath a tree with a Bald Eagle nest. I was awed.
But this year I've seen what I assume to be the same Bald Eagle near my home about 4-5 times. A couple of weeks ago I was sitting in my great room, looking out the window when it flew over my house. The amazing thing is I live right outside Indianapolis. If you'd have told me I'd see one in my lifetime in central Indiana I'd have lost that bet every time. It's awesome to see them making such a huge comeback.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks guys! Really appreciate the nice comments.
After 5 months of not seeing you, you come back with a great photo! We have osprey on the Eastern Shore of Virginia and enjoy their flight every day! Welcome back!
Thanks Spencer - I don't have as much free time as I used to, but I enjoy these frums.
But this year I've seen what I assume to be the same Bald Eagle near my home about 4-5 times. A couple of weeks ago I was sitting in my great room, looking out the window when it flew over my house. The amazing thing is I live right outside Indianapolis. If you'd have told me I'd see one in my lifetime in central Indiana I'd have lost that bet every time. It's awesome to see them making such a huge comeback.
Wow - I would have lost that bet too - lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.