Have Smooth Grain Finishes Edged Out Of Fashion?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes
4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
3 Fresh Ping Zhan Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seems like ten or twelve years ago, about a third of up-market pipes were smooth polished finish featuring notable grain, and they are still popular in a general sense. But it seems that blast, carved, rusticated, and semi-rusticated seem to have risen in popularity. It seems like the smooth polished grain has backed off to about ten to fifteen percent of pipe offerings. I'd guess they'll be back, the way fashion fluctuates, but is my sense of it a real "thing?"

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
You can get away with a lot more imperfections in a Rusticated pipe which I guess is why the tend to be less expensive compared to smooth pipes. I don't necessarily think they are more popular, I think people want to pay less money for a briar pipe.

I could be wrong, but overall smooth briar do seem to cost a bit more in my experience, especially with a nice grain pattern.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
When I first smoke, smooth finished pipes were all I really cared about. Nothing else would even draw my gaze. Then I was offered a deal on a NOS Nording bulldog that had a rusticated finish. I bought it, and couldn’t get over how good it felt in the hand, and how cool it smoked. It’s a fact the two pipes of the same shape and size, one smooth and the other rusticated or blasted, will smoke with different external temperatures. There’s just more surface are on a craggy pipe.... These days I still buy the occasional smooth pipe, but I’ve come to enjoy the look and feel of blasted and rusticated pipes to the point that they make up probably 90% of my purchases. I still like to see some nice birdseye, straight and flame grain pipes, I just don’t buy as many these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.