Have Had My Hands Full..... (Pic Heavy!)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I haven't set up a tobacco stash at the shop because it's just cold in there. In fact, I miss being

able to work unless it's at least 40°. I can't heat the building if it's much colder because it's not

insulated yet. I plan to do that a bit at a time and be done with it by next winter. My plan

is to use 3" Styrofoam insulation sheets under 3/4" southern pine Oriented Strand Board (OSB).
If you visit my shop, you're gonna be put to work. My youngest son visiting from Austin. He's fitting

a mortise and tenon. He's never done any woodworking but is a fast learner...

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Top, as always, thank you for your service. And a big thank you to your bride, as well, for her service - from the pictures of your happy family, she has done "the toughest job" very well.
Anyway, thanks for coming by and filling us in. You have been missed!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Very cool, thanks for coming by to share. You can get a mifi from Verizon. You pay for a data package and it acts like a wireless router. It works pretty well and you can watch video. My parents have one. They live in the boonies.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I know this isn't a woodworking site, but several pipers mentioned they didn't work with tools much. I thought

I'd invite everyone to pitch-in if you want with tips and/or photo's having to do with that subject. Don't feel

like your 'bombing' my post, your invited!
This is a saw I've had for over 30 years. I sharpen it and reset the teeth once in a while to keep it cutting

smoothly. If you keep a lite coat of furniture wax on it, it'll keep from rusting. Don't use oil! Oil will

make the board you're cutting swell and will pinch the saw. (I like to smoke a cob when I'm working with

my hands).

This old 'Disston' saw I found in my step-dads shed after he passed away. According to the medallion, it was

made between 1898 and 1917.... That's my granddaughter reworking it....

All done. She did a great job!

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
hey top d.. glad your still here! looks like your a busy feller.. it all looks great, and I wish you well with your upcoming adventures!! Smeigs

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
That is coming together to be an incredible shop! I have wanted to get into woodworking badly. I have a project starting next week to get my garage to a point where I can do something in it besides store things there. Your tool skills are quite impressive sir. I love the bench, my brother built himself a nice woodworking bench last year and I have been itching to do start ever since.
I saw where you said your youngest son was visiting from Austin. Are you in Texas as well? I'm up in the northeastern part of the state in Paris. About 2 hours NE of Dallas.

B

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
warren: I don't plan on a tail vice on the bench, but I am installing a leg vice. Of course, I may change my

mind later after using it.

pipebow88: I'm not in Texas, but some of my kids are. I'm in South West Arkansas, just south of Magnolia.
I appreciate the compliments, but my woodworking skills are newly obtained. I wasn't a carpenter or woodworker,

but have been watching plenty of YouTube video's on how to, and what tools I need. I wish I had of thought of

doing this a few years ago. My Mom's old home has been my deer camp and just sets there during the off season.

I do see this new hobby is going to eat into my fishing though...

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
TopD, that is a very nice workshop you have there. My dad retired a few years ago and retrofitted his old workshop with insulation, heat, a vacuum system and a slew of "updated" (read: New) tools. His father was a carpenter and my dad help build the additions to my grandparents' home when he was young. He and I did the same when I was in my early teens to my parents' home. We never did anything as grand as renovating a house from the studs up, but I spent more than my fair share of weekends covered in fiberglass insulation and drywall dust.
Personally, there's nothing more satisfying than creating something functional and beautiful with your own hands. I look forward to more pics and stories of your trials and tribulations in this project you've undertaken.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.