PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
I would like to get a new (not estate) straight smooth billiard in group size 2.
Preferably French or English and with a metal/silver band,
Even thought thats not mandatory.

So far I only found only Dunhill pipes of this size.

Any leads or advise?

Reactions: rushx9 and jpmcwjr

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
I fucking hate when people call a pipe by group size. You are probably only finding Dunhills because they are the only company to use group size. It really has little to do with the pipe or chamber size.

Group Size is very often used as reference point for size of the pipe.
Nobody expecting it to be exact.
Its more or less to get an understanding.

You could also be more fruendly/civilised in your replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I would like to get a new (not estate) straight smooth billiard in group size 2.
Preferably French or English and with a metal/silver band,
Even thought thats not mandatory.

So far I only found only Dunhill pipes of this size.

Any leads or advise?
I am pretty sure I have an unsmoked French GBD if you are interested. It is a rather small sized billiard, no silver band however.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and seanv

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Also, Iwan Ries gives a dunhill group size equivalent in each pipe description.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
That group size thing is a Dunhill term used to identify the size of the briar used to make the pipe, and has little to nothing to do with chamber sizes.

Most of us would be glad to help you look. What chamber size are you looking for?
I would disagree, plus , minus the measurements are similar .

20200226_154623.jpg

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
Also, Iwan Ries gives a dunhill group size equivalent in each pipe description.

Thanks, do they also have the option to search by the group size as criteria?

I would disagree
It has been posted many time, and you can find it other places online. The briar is sorted to size and quality and group sizes are assigned before the pipe is even made. People that are very familiar with Dunhills still use the terms for non-Dunhill pipes, but for the majority of pipesmoker, especially on this forum, it doesn't mean anything. Chamber diameter x depth is how most pipe retailers classify their pipes. It just makes it easier to communicate.

But, don't feel bad, everyone jumped on me for using Morse code to reply to posts. puffy

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
It has been posted many time, and you can find it other places online. The briar is sorted to size and quality and group sizes are assigned before the pipe is even made. People that are very familiar with Dunhills still use the terms for non-Dunhill pipes, but for the majority of pipesmoker, especially on this forum, it doesn't mean anything. Chamber diameter x depth is how most pipe retailers classify their pipes. It just makes it easier to communicate.

But, don't feel bad, everyone jumped on me for using Morse code to reply to posts. puffy
If you compare various Dunhill group size 2 pipes, you will see that the measurments are mor or less the same.

Now obviously you wont find exact same pipe length and bowl height for pipes of other makers, but again, it will have more or less simillar proportions.
So if somebody speaks about a group size 2 straight billiard, you know which measurements approximately to expect.

If you compare various Dunhill group size 2 pipes, you will see that the measurments are mor or less the same.
Yes, but why not just use the measurements that most retailers use. That will just make your search easier, and we would all know with more precision what you are looking for.

I'm not getting on to you. I am just trying to help. Using Dunhill group sizes limits the people who will respond to mostly Dunhill folks. But, what do I know. It's not like I am here very much, ha ha.

Good luck on your quest, and I hope that looking for a .70 x 1.22" chamber is a little more easier now.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
.70" x 1.22" is a pretty common bowl size. You should have no problems finding that. Most pipes fall within this size.
Its not very common nowadays.
Most pipes are midium to large (Group size 4)
But I would be happy if you can refer me to examples of well proportioned modern small pipes. That's basically the original reason for the tread

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Bend your mind and look for a new pipe based on the size like cosmic says. You will have an easier time. Once you own it, call it whatever you want. Good luck in your search.

But I would be happy if you can refer me to examples of well proportioned modern small pipes. That's basically the original reason for the tread
Sure...
The pipe locator at smokingpipes.com is an excellent place to start. Even if you eventually go with another source for your pipe, you can get a good start by clicking on the range of bowl diameters.

I really hope this helps. And, be sure to show off your new pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.