PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Ray in Bangkok

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2020
Bangkok, Thailand
Well I'm having a bit of a struggle with HB and I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion about mixing it with something else, like an aro, to lighten the bitter taste.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Though it's a broken flake, the Orientals in Sunday Pic Nic can keep those Bitey Brights in HB at Bay. Maybe stack them in different configurations parfait style and make sure to fully rub out and dry the Sunday Pic Nic equal to the HB for the best burn.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
Blending HB with Black Cavendish can help mitigate the harshness or bitterness that some may experience with Burley forward blends, and I agree with the suggestions of SWR or SP as well.

Additionally, I would suggest trying Pegasus, which does contain a bit of Black Cav and has a deeper, but overall softer mouthfeel.

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Very interested to read and try these recommendations. For whatever reason, HB punishes me in every way and I have yet to finish an entire bowl of it.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I had a couple bowls of HB, but just could not abide the bitterness. Jarred it up and put it in the back of the cupboard. I'll try it again in a year or so. Old Joe Krantz was the same, to a lesser or greater extent (can't remember which way around). So far, my experiences with C&D blends have not been happy ones. Briar Fox was better, but not a blend I really reach for. Bayou Morning the same. Holding out hope for Pegasus.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
HB is a love it or hate it kinda blend. It's a burley and perique bomb where the virginias are condimental at best, so even sipped slowly, there is going to be some bitterness; you either like that you or do not. If you push it fast, it will get overly bitter. It's an entirely unflavored tobacco, so you really got to have a love for the naturally earthy, peppery, and nutty flavors in the burley and perique. Sipped at a moderate pace, it has an almost buttery texture, but is bold with just enough spice to make it interesting. But the bitterness is feature, not a bug.

That being said, as much as I love HB, it isn't for everyone. It's an all day smoke for me, but others just find it acrid. Instead of trying to fix it, I'd advise trying Pegasus instead. It's made by the same blender and uses much of the same tobaccos, but is more mellow and sweet. I think you'd like it if the only thing turning you off on HB is the bitterness. But if you are insistent on blending it with something, I'd advise some cavendish. Lumbridge's suggestion is a good one.

Ray in Bangkok

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2020
Bangkok, Thailand
HB is a love it or hate it kinda blend. It's a burley and perique bomb where the virginias are condimental at best, so even sipped slowly, there is going to be some bitterness; you either like that you or do not. If you push it fast, it will get overly bitter. It's an entirely unflavored tobacco, so you really got to have a love for the naturally earthy, peppery, and nutty flavors in the burley and perique. Sipped at a moderate pace, it has an almost buttery texture, but is bold with just enough spice to make it interesting. But the bitterness is feature, not a bug.

That being said, as much as I love HB, it isn't for everyone. It's an all day smoke for me, but others just find it acrid. Instead of trying to fix it, I'd advise trying Pegasus instead. It's made by the same blender and uses much of the same tobaccos, but is more mellow and sweet. I think you'd like it if the only thing turning you off on HB is the bitterness. But if you are insistent on blending it with something, I'd advise some cavendish. Lumbridge's suggestion is a good one.
Thanks

Reactions: K.E. Powell

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
North Dakota, USA
I would try Haunted Bookshop after a few beers. It’ll take away the harshness, if you experience that. It is an all day smoke for me. The perfect blend.

Reactions: RobNYC