PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
C&D cakes are just ribbons pressed into a block.
Does it change the tobacco in any way? I've always been under the impression that even a cake (as opposed to a plug) melds the flavors somewhat. I could be wrong, that's why I'm asking. If nothing is different, I do still like the portability (just carry the whole cake instead of loose tobacco if going on a trip) -- it seems to be easier to keep the moisture level then. Okay basically every ribbon I like I wish was a cake, lol.

Reactions: neighborhoodman323

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think this blend goes back to C&D's beginnings, in Pennsylvania if I recall, before they moved to North Carolina, before they sold to Laudisi and moved to South Carolina. I'm not sure what they gain offering crumble cake ... increase freshness and shelf life by having bigger pieces? This is one of their good old burley based blends with Virginia and Perique as a condiments.

Four or five years ago, Haunted Bookshop was big on Forums. Maybe sales slipped and they're refreshing the blend for better sales.

Didn't GLP Jack Knife go in the other direction? Introduced as a plug and later offered as ribbon?

Reactions: ethicsminer